GIS Manager’s Summit Returns to the Esri International User Conference!

05-10-2023 10:32 AM
Labels (3)
AdamCarnow
Esri Regular Contributor

The 11th GIS Manager’s Summit will be held in-person at the 2023 Esri International User Conference (UC). For the first time in its history, it will occur on the Sunday before UC, July 9th.  It will run from 9AM to 3:30 PM in Marina Ballroom EF in the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina (333 W. Harbor Dr.), which is connected to the San Diego Convention Center. There is no charge for the event. If you are interested in attending, please visit the web page below and add the event to your schedule using the button in the bottom right of that web page.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/uc/gis-managers-summit?date=2023-07-09 

At the last Summit in 2019, there were over 350 attendees from 46 U.S. states and 17 countries. This event has a history of providing valuable content to current and future GIS managers on how to become leaders. It is full of interactive and participatory opportunities to meet and work with your peers and Esri SMEs, so bring lots of business cards and be prepared to get involved. 

The content will closely follow what is on the Path to GIS Success site - including the five key components to success: Strategy, Governance, Data & Technology, Enablement, and Skills Development. Scheduled presenters include: 

• Adam Carnow, Esri 
  • James Pardue, Esri 
  • Marna McLain, City of Austin, TX
  • Anika Smart, LA Metro
  • Kara Shindle, Franklin Co., PA
  • Deepti Kochhar, Esri 
  • Jim VanOstenbridge, Esri 
  • Michael Green, Esri 
  • Justin Ogden, Esri 
  • Matt Lewin, Esri Canada 

Here are some comments from attendees at past Summits: 

• …the speakers I saw were all phenomenal and I took a lot away from them. Thank you for putting on such an inspiring and validating summit. I'm a fairly new manager, so it was great to learn management tools applicable to GIS. I definitely plan on attending next year. 
  • This was worth my whole day investment at the conference. I don't know how to tell you to improve since I was blown away by everything from the format, quality of the speakers and the diverse attendance. I will come again! 
  • I don't have any suggestions for improvements. You continue to knock it out of the park each year. Thanks! 
  • Great meeting. I learned a lot. My best experience at UC. I am definitely coming back next year. 
  • Everyone did a great job. I am not exaggerating how helpful this session was. 
  • I am a new manager and I think experience through the summit can give insight to all new managers and existing managers. It is a great experience for all managers to take part in. 
  • Thank you so much for putting this summit together.  It was amazing.
  • Thank you for providing such a fantastic experience with the Summit at Esri UC this year. It was my first time attending both and I gained so much from the Summit. The speakers were engaging, and it was nice to learn of management tools that were GIS oriented. 
  • I just wanted to write to thank you for the GIS Manager’s Summit that you provided at the Esri conference in San Diego.  I found the session so helpful to me as a manager and felt it touched on many topics that I struggle with as a coordinator.  The quality of your speakers was great, and I loved the fast-paced format.  The day went by too quickly.  I am already recommending it to my fellow managers and coordinators. 
  • It was a pleasure to attend the GIS Manager's Summit for the third year in a row.  I have consistently found this to be the most important session I attend at UC.
  • I find the summit important for the following reasons: 
    • It provides me with ways to approach executive leadership at the company and to show business value for GIS 
    • It helps me think about new ways of collaborating with my team to make them more productive and collaborative 
    • It gives me new tools for how to solicit ideas from my team and to build buy-in from them on the work that we do 

IMG_5128.JPGIMG_5131.JPG

8 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Hey @AdamCarnow there was mention of a link to the presentations from the Summit. Any idea when we will be able to get that? Was great seeing it in person, but my mind has been digesting so much I want to go back through the backing info...

AdamCarnow
Esri Regular Contributor

Great question! Be on the lookout this week for a post by me in the GIS Manager's Group that will contain the slide deck...

Hussam_AlJabri

I attended an incredible GIS Managers Summit and got impactful insights about the values of Geospatial Strategy and the five key components of successful GIS, which are:
1- Strategy
2- Governance
3- Data&Technology
4- Engagement
5- Skills Development

The agenda was:

•The Path to GIS Success > Jim VanOstenbridge
•Strategy > James Pardue
•Governance > Deepti Dev Kochhar
•GIS Governance at the City of Austin, TX > Marna McLain
•Engagement > Micheal & Anika
•Making the GIS Team Proactive at Franklin Co., PA> Kara Shindle, GISP
•Data&Technology > Jim VanOstenbridge
•Skills development > Justin Ogden
•Holistic View > Matthew Lewin

The main takeaways:
“- Your strategy determines the unique configuration of these key components (and others) and creates your organization's geospatial capability.
- Governance is the process by which you monitor, control, and oversee your strategy.
- To get started on your path to GIS success,
> start by building a case for your geospatial strategy,
> ensure you deliver quick wins,
> focus on establishing a base level of governance,
> and build up the right team to sustain your program long-term.”

Networking with the GIS Managers and exchanging experiences was a powerful part, and happy to be part of the GIS Managers Community https://lnkd.in/dzm2NWEa

I had been reading the Geospatial Essentials for Managers e-books extensively and was privileged to meet the author Matthew Lewin!

Thanks, Adam Carnow, for making this Summit happen. Keep up the great work of enlightening GIS Managers&Leaders with impactful contents.

#GISManagers #Leadership #geospatial #Geospatialstrategy #governance #strategicthinking Esri Esri Canada #GIS

1688967372116.jpeg1688967522431.jpeg1688967611225.jpeg1688967617169.jpeg1688967617863.jpeg1688967618357.jpeg1688967619533.jpeg

Hussam_AlJabri

@AdamCarnow , I believe there is a gap in educating GIS professionals and Managers about building a robust Geospatial Strategy as most of us came from a technical base and grew to be at managerial levels. 

How about designing a focused led-instructed course dedicated for Geospatial Strategy? The insights and martials that were shared in the summit need to be articulated and formed as workshops and courses!

I'm ready to put this idea in Ideas page and market the idea to the community to vote for it!

AdamCarnow
Esri Regular Contributor

@JamesPardue2 check this out...

JamesPardue2
Esri Contributor

@AdamCarnow I could build a 1-Day Webinar. 

JamesPardue2
Esri Contributor

Hi @Hussam_AlJabri,

It was wonderful to meet you at the summit. I'm not sure about a training course but we could definitely look at putting together a 1-day webinar that teaches you how to develop the baseline for a geospatial strategy. How to build the strategy foundation. If we had enough interest, then I would look at building that. 

Hussam_AlJabri

It seems good idea to design a one-day webinar, but from what I saw in the summit and read about the geospatial strategy pillars, at least two days program can cover the fundamentals of it.

Thanks and good to meet you in-person too @JamesPardue2 

0 Kudos