Have you ever wondered if I should get some kind of degree or I'm already beyond "GISP"

05-31-2023 02:06 PM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

For example, someone says I'm a GIS editor, layer designer, web app builder, GIS system designer, COGO editor, enterprise windows server admin, enterprise GIS admin, department/agency coordinator, GPS integrator, GIS trainer, etc., etc., etc. - I wonder if I should get some kind of degree or I'm already beyond "GISP"

Tags (1)
6 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

Don't equate getting a GIS certification such as a GISP with getting a degree, these are very different things. For GIS practitioners this is the same difference between getting a degree in Engineering versus becoming a Professional Engineer, they serve different purposes and are separate processes. As for getting a degree, that's always a highly personal decision and depends on what you think you want out of it. If you are considering getting your GISP cert, take a good look at the requirements for that and the testing. I don't know if anyone has started developing any statistics about how critical a GISP is for obtaining work in this field or if there are appreciable benefits such as being able to command a higher salary by the fact of having it, but that might be interesting to research. 

JessicaHinz
New Contributor

I've also wondered about the statistics between GIS training levels. I am currently in a GIS position, but I have no formal training. My degree is in biology, I've worked in Natural Resources for 9 years, and I self-taught myself how to incorporate ArcGIS Field Maps into our data collection. Coding comes natural to me, so it was easy to learn, along with tutorials. I can say that I am more capable at using ArcGIS than one of the departmental professionals above me. So, what would having a certificate accomplish?

0 Kudos
clt_cabq

I think you come to the GIS discipline like many of us have, sort of a sideways affair that builds on personal interests and abilities, and some opportunities grasped. Getting a GISP certification (not a certificate, as that is/can be a different thing, so we should be clear about that). puts letters after your name, signifying that someone independently has reviewed your knowledge/skills in some fashion and found you acceptable by some measure. In a competitive market, this may mean a lot. It could also mean nothing. At the end of the day, i doubt getting the certification will harm you - there is some time/effort/financial burden it puts on people, but sometimes your organization can help defray some of those, so it could be worth talking to your managers and HR.  I wonder if URISA or some other similar organization is looking at this, the whole GISP certification may be new enough that there just aren't good statistics yet. 

BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

I'm also interested to see what others think on this.  Sounds like we have had similar paths into the field. Once in a while I consider something like GISP or one of Esri's technical certifications. Then I wonder what it would actually do for me. I guess I haven't really found a good reason where I am to go through the process of a certification.

0 Kudos
BriantFabela
New Contributor II

I'd argue that a GISP, as with any professional certification, is just there to let potential employers that you can do GIS. However, it is fairly redundant in my personal experience. The reason being that any firm or government agency hiring GIS professionals will very likely test your knowledge as part of the interview process, regardless of your certifications. If you can prove to them that you know what they need, that should suffice.

That said, if you want to get into GIS and have little to no knowledge, the process of learning and getting the certification will be very beneficial. But if you already know GIS, I'd focus your time and money on learning python/SQL/Arcade, ESRI certifications, or something more advanced like AWS certifications; since those would be far more attractive to a potential employer.

0 Kudos
clt_cabq

You're correct I think. A GISP at this point doesn't function in the same as Professional Geologist or Professional Engineer or a Professional Land Surveyor designations. There is no licensing component, and I'm not sure there needs to be. And as of yet I haven't seen the market prioritizing hiring of GISPs over people without that certification. I know I certainly haven't given it a lot of shrift when I've done hiring of GIS staff.

0 Kudos