Local GIS contracting jobs

09-12-2017 10:32 AM
deleted-user-P-Gckloxqib2
New Contributor III

Hi, I am interested in pursuing a paid contracting job related to GIS. Is there any community board or site that can help me seek these opportunities out? I am interested in relocating to California for this temp job.

Thank you!  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KathleenWallis
Occasional Contributor II

Traditionally this is the jobs board that everyone uses,  but it is not specific to California

\\cityfiles\Shares\esri

The one that is used for the SF bay area is
http://baama.org/links 
go on the Jobs link on baama and the links to other job sites

New Contributor III

Thank you, Kathleen! This was so helpful! ☺

0 Kudos
KathleenWallis
Occasional Contributor II

Correction - 1st link should be The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Having been a contract employee a specific agency for the past 14 years (I've recently terminated the contract after taking a full time position) if I may offer some opinions-  

If you have specific interests, target those agencies that fulfill those interests

If you have specific skills that support those interests, market them

Look for a niche- in my case I had been employed by a 9-1-1 call center and decided to quit and contract back to them. I've done that for a couple of PSAPs.  Trust me, there is a HUGE niche to fill by coupling GIS technologies and 9-1-1.

Don't sell yourself short; in other words, get paid!  Volunteer work might make you feel better but it does not put a roof over your head or buy groceries.

Create a company or at least an LLC: separate yourself and personal assets from your business dealings.

Be persistent and don't give up.  It isn't easy, but all you need to do is turn over the first rock and the rest get easier....

(YMMV)

That should just about do it....
New Contributor III

Joe,

Thank you so much for this insight! I appreciate you!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I should also add: best of luck!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos