Is there a way I could do an online GIS internship or help on a GIS project remotely?

09-06-2017 03:09 PM
MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

I am looking to add some more GIS experience to my resume, and an internship would be an ideal way to do so.  For convenience sake, I was wondering if there were opportunities out there for online GIS internship experience or helping out on a project remotely.  I am currently enrolled in classes and would have a difficult time moving right now to try to find one--and I figured in the interim this would be a nice way to gain experience outside the classroom.  Any tips/advice offered would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Absolutely! URISA GIS Corps is the way to go:

GISCorps - Home 

MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If pay isn't important, you could look into volunteering thru GISCorps - Home  or maybe in something more local (school perhaps?)  If it is for non-profit and no commercial use, you can look at getting the software thru something like Esri's program for nonprofit organizations or ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced for Personal Use 

If you are really enthusiastic and want to dive deeper into the development and app side of things, you can look at the ArcGIS for Developers   packages....but those can get a bit pricey, but maybe they have a discount thru your school.

re: paid internships remote...I don't know that there would be a generic answer for that since each organization would be set up differently as to whether they would allow it.   You may want to check around some of the web sites for the type of company/discipline that you plan to follow with your GIS career.  They may have something on their sites...or maybe you can talk to someone in their HR or GIS shop for some tips.

edit: Micah beat me to the GISCorps

MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! This was really helpful!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Matthew,

I second (or third) the GISCorps. I just did a project with them and they are awesome.

I would also look into subscribing to local groups that do GIS in your area. I am not sure where you are located but here in Utah, the Utah Geographic Information Council (UGIC) has an email list that somewhat regularly sends out job announcements (which sometimes includes internships): UGIC – Utah Geographic Information Council . Another plug for Utah is the Salt Lake Users Group (SLUG) that also send out emails and such: Salt Lake GIS Users Group (SLUG) 

Likely in your state you have a statewide GIS group and/or local group that you could get in touch with regarding this.

Good luck!

Adrian

0 Kudos