How to perfect a resume for a GIS application with entry-level experience?

Jump to solution
01-06-2016 10:00 PM
GarrettPullis
New Contributor II

My name is Garrett and I am a graduating senior finishing up with a bachelors in both Geography and Environmental Geoscience along with a minor in GIS. I have had plenty of jobs throughout my life including retail, landscaping, coaching, and field managing for a nonprofit org, but have no real world experience. I have taken plenty of courses utilizing GIS and imagery programs, but haven't landed a job in GIS quite yet. I have an upcoming part time position as a GIS technician for my final semester as an undergrad but I want to look toward the future for AFTER graduation. I'm trying to hit the ground running and I have already applied to 15 different internships or job positions. Does anyone have any tips that can be added to a resume or toward applying for jobs? I try to elaborate on my skills by referencing results from my experience but with little real world experience, I've had to resort to self-teaching. What else could I do to land that solid first job? Any and all tips and advice are appreciated, thanks!

P.S. Looking for jobs in the greater Pittsburgh, DC, NVA,, Baltimore, and NYC areas at the entry level.

12 Replies
ThomasBackof
New Contributor II

Everything depends on the employer. Most (all?) employers will use a hiring official with little or no actual knowledge of GIS, which means you need to inform them in the most efficient manner possible. The two best ways I know of to do this are:

1) put the BEST information at the most prominent location on your resume. This means that as lovely a guy you are, your third grade community service project should not outrank your degree. With no real relevant experience you need to rely on your degree and classes where you did relevant work.

2) use the wording of a job announcement. If it asks for someone who knows how to use ArcGIS, write "Profficient in ArcGIS." Do not say something that a computer or non-GIS hiring manager can confuse such as "Capably use many geographic software packages." Always remember your audience, and for resumes you are most likely writing to an HR professional who knows little about your actual future job or current skillset.

In your situation you have to be creative about applications. If you worked retail sales, then talk more about inventory management and showroom design than helping customers. Finally, expand your search. You may find a GIS job in the most unexpected places, like an amusement park or boutique architecture firm. This type of employer may be in the lookout for an entry-level (cheap) hire who can only do basics, but is your first level of experience to build from.

Good luck,Garrett Pullis

CodyWunder
New Contributor

Thanks for the information everyone! Should come in handy.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You need to be willing to work in any industry and move out of your home space.

A lot of people I knew in GIS classes had great intentions of working for a Department of Natural Resources.  Myself included. But I got a job in E911 and then a job in Electric Utilities using GIS.

Don't focus on an internship in being "THE WAY TO GO".  If an internship pops up great, if a regular job pops up so much the better.

Though a lot of places may hire an intern.  That is a painless way to see if that person will work out. If not they can say thanks and have a good day.

You should make bookmarks to ALL of the county agencies in your search area to their job postings.  Check them every Tuesday.  It is surprising how often entry level GIS jobs pop up. 

Nothing is more valuable on your resume than actual work experience and showing that you can stick with a job.

One of the biggest mistakes people make on a resume is making it a multipage autobiography of their life. Other than the cover sheet keep it to ONE page.

Any of your part time low wage jobs keep to a single line or so.