In a GIF: Extract the coordinates from an entire Wikipedia article

08-09-2019 11:32 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
11 3 2,315

This week's .gif features LocateXT, a powerful text extraction tool accessible in ArcGIS Pro. This extension can be used to plot coordinates and placenames, extract attributes, and rapidly iterate through massive folders of documents. For more information, visit the product page.

LocateXT extracts the coordinates of every shipwreck in a wikipedia article and plots them on a map.

LocateXT can rapidly discover geodata in unstructured text, then convert it to points on a map.

Shout-out to Maren John for inspiring this application of pulling from a source like Wikipedia!

About In a GIF:

Every Friday, I take a few seconds of my day to demonstrate a cool feature of the ArcGIS platform, and share it with you all! The goal is to show how easy it is to create incredible products using tools available in the Esri environment.

We've all seen "look how easy this tool is to use" demos before, using curated data and copy-pasta code. So, to truly demonstrate going from zero-to-hero, In a GIF follows three simple rules:

In a GIF Rules:

1) The .gif must be less than 45 seconds.

2) No cutting time from the .gif

3) No pre-prepared code allowed.

3 Comments
AitorCalero_García
Esri Contributor

Very cool Mike! Inspired by your post I've converted this list of municipalities in Spain into this hexagon map showing the number of them per 25Km hexagon bin:

The one important thing is to take into account your OS localization settings so that LocateXT could interpret correctly the decimal symbol. In Spain we use comma (,) instead of dot (.).

It took me just 10 min!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wow that is awesome! And great note about the comma vs dot. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator