Select to view content in your preferred language

XY Table to Point is shortening field names when creating feature classes for a geodatabase

Jump to solution
06-09-2023 03:25 AM
user74562
New Contributor II

I am using the XY Table to Point geoprocessing tool in ArcGIS Pro to take .csv files with lat/lon and descriptive attributes, and turn them into point feature classes. The tool works, however I notice the field names are truncated as they would be if I were creating a shapefile (e.g. "program_status" becomes "program_st"). It is my understanding that field names are limited to 64 characters in file geodatabases. I am able to manually rename the output feature class fields back to their full names without an issue. But I would like to stop the XY Table to Point tool from truncating the field names in the first place. Is there a way to accomplish this? Thank you for any pointers. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @user74562 

Using XY Table To Point with this very simple .CSV file, the field names are not truncated and are read in full as expected. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2. Do you see something different to this ?

ChrisUnderwood_0-1686849305788.png

ID,short,longqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm,program_status,x,y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @user74562 

Using XY Table To Point with this very simple .CSV file, the field names are not truncated and are read in full as expected. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2. Do you see something different to this ?

ChrisUnderwood_0-1686849305788.png

ID,short,longqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm,program_status,x,y

0 Kudos
user74562
New Contributor II

I've had time to follow up and attempt again, it did not truncate column names this time. I'm not sure what the solution is, all I did was quit out of ArcPro and then restart a different day to try again. Thank you for double checking on this. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If you find unexpected quirkiness with ArcGIS Pro tools, I would close out of the project and re-open as one of the first trouble-shooting steps.

0 Kudos