Why background Geoprocessing fails..!

05-29-2015 08:01 AM
surens
by
New Contributor II

the answer would be : Geoprocessing menu > Geoprocessing Options > Uncheck Enable under "Background Processing". But i would like to know Y it fails..?? What are the reasons behind it to fail..

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Usually there is an error code attached to it, buuuut more often than not it will be the 99999 which is just a generic error code.

0 Kudos
surens
by
New Contributor II

Ya Tim its a generic code. but why it fails. i have default patch nothing more downloaded. Then why it doesnt work.?

I would be pleased if you can get me the issue.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Do you run a model or is it something else? It would help to describe exactly what you are trying to do.

0 Kudos
surens
by
New Contributor II

im just running tool.. let me take any tool say project it doesnt work in background but works in foreground perfectly. why is it so..
i have disabled my anti virus no auto updates to my system(windows)

0 Kudos
surens
by
New Contributor II

@Tim Witt I have found few things to do are there anything else so that i can try even those...

remaning few of the folders may solve,
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\ESRI

Roaming folder above, rename the Esri folder to something else, such as Esri_old.

Go to the Start menu, run Regedit, expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software, and rename the Esri subfolder

0 Kudos
surens
by
New Contributor II

@esri_certified_individuals

@esri_technical_support

@tim_witt

i have found few of them why it fails what are the reason.. Can u suggest me with something else more..

MSXML 4.0 SP2 hotfixes and intsalled MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3
.NET framework 4.5 and tried to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 again. FYI - Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
is a requirement for using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1

profile specific
Checked the RAM and memory
Any software updates made to the machine
automatic Microsoft updates, anti-virus updates, etc.
(avast antivirus has a effect on backgroun gp)

64bit background geoprocessing application that was causing the issues
mismatch in the installation of the 64-bit python tools and dlls with other 32-bit parts of the product
One option to try is to just reinstall the 64-bit background gp module and see if the problem returns.
If that happens, the fastest resolution is probably to uninstall all of ArcGIS Desktop, make sure any
relevant registry and disk entries are removed, then reinstall.

The following data types are unsupported in 64-bit processing:
Personal geodatabase (.mdb)
Excel tables (.xls, .xlsx)
OLEDB connections

remaning few of the folders may solve,
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\ESRI

Roaming folder above, rename the Esri folder to something else, such as Esri_old.

Go to the Start menu, run Regedit, expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software, and rename the Esri subfolder

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Suren,

honestly I don't know

The only thing I can think of is always run them in the foreground. It explains how to do this here:

ArcGIS Desktop

Tim

0 Kudos
surens
by
New Contributor II

Tim,

thaks for the help you tried to give me out.. But i wanted to know why sometimes they fail.. i tried all the ways i can and founded out the work arounds which i sent above..

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Suren,

One thing to keep in mind is that background GP is like a baby ArcGIS Server geoprocessing service, it is separate from your desktop process.

the main reasons I've seen background processing fail when it works in foreground fine include:

• The tool is not supported in x64 (example: metadata tools in the Conversion toolbox)
  • The data type is not supported in x64 (example: .mdb)
  • The tool parameter/option is not supported in x64 (example: Calculate Field VB parser)
  • You are trying to do something that requires that python be "inside" the ArcMap session (example arcpy.mapping working with "CURRENT" mxd)
  • A bug

This help document has more information about x64 limitations:

Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop