Where do I find the dafault parallel processing factor for each tool?

09-08-2014 03:35 AM
StefanieSteinbach
New Contributor III

As I am processing large raster datasets in my model, which takes a lot of time, I am looking for ways to speed up the process. Obviously, setting a high parallel processing factor might help; but where do I find the individual default values for each tool? Maybe they are already using all four cores?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stefanie,

Take a look at the following link:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

When left blank, the tool will determine how many processes to use.  I would also recommend taking a look at the help of each tool.  For example, the Manage Tile Cache tool uses 50% of available cores when the value is left blank.

StefanieSteinbach
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot for your answer,

What I did not know before is that only few tools honour parallel processing, which is why I had trouble finding / did not find the percentage for my tools. Is there a list of the ones that do so?

0 Kudos
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

What is the default parallel processing factor for the Mosaic to New Raster tool?

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I have come across this issue before it is a limitation of the help file.

The only place in the help file (and the internet) that says if a tool uses the parallel processing factor is in the environment setting section at the bottom of each tools' help page. There is no other page to look up which tools use this environment setting.

So currently the only way to find out which tools use this setting is to visit the help page for the specific tool and check the environment settings section.

I posted an Idea over 5 years ago to improve the help file and nothing has been done. Only 6 people have ever considered worthy of a vote and so for the last half a decade we suffer in silence... Get voting!

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Spatial Analyst, for example, lists their tools, viz.,

and Multiprocessing with ArcGIS - Raster Analysis

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Looks like these pages came in at version 10.6? Good to see. Interesting article about multiprocessing with ArcGIS.

0 Kudos