Use variable substitution and Iterate Features with Particle Track in Model Builder

03-23-2015 01:36 PM
AaronKing
New Contributor II

Particle Track requires input x,y coordinate pairs. I need to run it on a large set of locations. I have run it on individual coordinate pairs (going through my set of points I need to run 1 by 1) to make sure that the rest of my model works. I am trying to use Iterate Features to create variables for the x and y coordinate values, and use those variables in the Particle Track function, instead of having to do each location individually.

I use the iterate feature tool with 3 Get Field Value tools to get "POINT_X", "POINT_Y", and "LOCATION_ID".

I then try to put %POINT_X% in the space in the Particle Track dialog for the X coordinate of the starting location; %POINT_Y% in the space in the Particle Track dialog for the Y coordinate of the starting location; %LOCATION_ID% in the space in the Particle Track dialog for the name of the output text file and the name of the output feature class, with appropriate extensions etc.

When I enter "POINT_X" into the x coordinate field, however, as soon as I move over to the y coordinate field, the x coordinate field reverts to "0".

Has anyone else tried this? Is there a way to use a list of values instead of typing in the x,y coordinates for every location I want to track?

When I run it as is, I get this error: "ERROR 010210: Source location is out of the working window.". Not surprisingly, as the coordinate location (0,0) is not within the rasters used in the Particle Track tool.

The problem is that the tool will not allow me to use a variable in the coordinate fields.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Could you post screenshots of your model and particle track tool dialog, please?

0 Kudos
AaronKing
New Contributor II

Thanks for looking at it:

0 Kudos
AaronKing
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
AaronKing
New Contributor II

i CANT USE THE SNIP TOOL WITHOUT THE "%POINT_X" DISAPPEARING FROM THE DIALOG. PRINT SCREEN BUTTON WORKS THOUGH.

0 Kudos