Uaing Data Reviewer - Invalid Domain Value Check cause ArcMap 10.1 freeze and error

Jump to solution
06-03-2013 12:41 AM
dgesridgesri
Occasional Contributor II
Greetings,

I`m using the Data Reviewer Extension in ArcMap 10.1 and I always specify a personal GDB as the workspace. I create a Batch Job and include 7 Jobs of Invalid Domain & Null Values Check for  7 Point FeatureClasses with aprox. 180,000 Features all, then when I run this batch it starts running normally then it freezes for a long time and finally it generates the following error:

---------------------------
Error saving records to the Reviewer Table
External component has thrown an exception.
OK  

Please advise me on how much the hardware specs should be to run this process successfully in normal performance for the above configuration, and specify if any other factor may lead to this issue.

Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Hi.

The issues you are describing are not hardware issues.  Data Reviewer follows the same recommended hardware specs as core ArcGIS.  Of course, the faster the processor and the larger the RAM, the faster the checks will run.

Regarding #1 - This is related to the spatial reference of the data being validated and the spatial reference of the Reviewer workspace.  In order for the error geometries to be stored in the Reviewer workspace, the spatial references must match.  Do all of the seven point feature classes you are validating have the same spatial reference?  If so, then when you create the Reviewer workspace, add all seven feature classes to ArcMap first.  Then go to Session Manager to create a new Reviewer workspace. 

1. When you browse to the Reviewer workspace, you can create a new File geodatabase in that same dialog.  Select that new File gdb and click Add.

2. Click on New to create a new Session.

3. In the Reviewer Workspace Properties dialog, make sure the "Use Active Data Frame Spatial Reference" option is selected. Then click OK.

This should ensure that the Reviewer workspace spatial reference matches the spatial reference of the data that you are validating.

Regarding #2 - I do not have enough context as to how the message occured to determine what may be the cause.  Could you provide the steps to produce this message?  Or did it come right after message #1?

Regards,
michellej.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Hello.

Question - do you really need to check for NULLs for all fields that have domains in the seven point feature classes?  I know sometimes not all fields are being used in the geodatabase, but may be they're for future use. 

If you check on the "Search for Nulls Values" option, the Domain check could potentially be returning hundred of thousand errors.  And since you are using a personal geodatabase as the Reviewer workspace, you could be hitting the max size threshold for Microsoft Access databases, which is what a personal geodatabase is.  The max size is 2GB.

Try unchecking the "Search for Null Values" option in your Domain checks and re-run the batch job.  Or use a file geodatabase as the Reviewer workspace and re-run the batch job.

Let me know if this helps.
michellej.
0 Kudos
dgesridgesri
Thanks meikojosan,

I wonder why ArcMap is not managing this issue in a way that it should recommend the user to use File GDB as the workspace and not Personal GDB.

Please not that after initiating two runs of the described Batch job in my 1st post, please check the results for each one:

1. The results are written to the table but the following error genertaed for 5000 records:

2. [INDENT]Unable to save Reviewer geometry for RecordID 4983 as its spatial reference is incompatible with Reviewer workspace spatial reference. Extent of geometry is outside the Reviewer Dataset XY domain.[/INDENT]

3. The ArcMap Freezes then it generates error message with the following title:

4. [INDENT]ArcMap has stopped working[/INDENT]

Now I will go with your option and run this Batch without checking the Null Values and use the File GDB as the workspace.

However, is there any hardware specs recommendation to run such a process successfully?

Please advise..
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Hi.

The issues you are describing are not hardware issues.  Data Reviewer follows the same recommended hardware specs as core ArcGIS.  Of course, the faster the processor and the larger the RAM, the faster the checks will run.

Regarding #1 - This is related to the spatial reference of the data being validated and the spatial reference of the Reviewer workspace.  In order for the error geometries to be stored in the Reviewer workspace, the spatial references must match.  Do all of the seven point feature classes you are validating have the same spatial reference?  If so, then when you create the Reviewer workspace, add all seven feature classes to ArcMap first.  Then go to Session Manager to create a new Reviewer workspace. 

1. When you browse to the Reviewer workspace, you can create a new File geodatabase in that same dialog.  Select that new File gdb and click Add.

2. Click on New to create a new Session.

3. In the Reviewer Workspace Properties dialog, make sure the "Use Active Data Frame Spatial Reference" option is selected. Then click OK.

This should ensure that the Reviewer workspace spatial reference matches the spatial reference of the data that you are validating.

Regarding #2 - I do not have enough context as to how the message occured to determine what may be the cause.  Could you provide the steps to produce this message?  Or did it come right after message #1?

Regards,
michellej.
0 Kudos
dgesridgesri
Thank you meikojosan,

I think that you are right regarding issue #1. Regarding issue #2 I can say that even me I don`t have further details to send it to youbut what happens that when I run the batch process the ArcMap freezed and generate the described error only. So is there any way to get more details about this error?

Thanks....
0 Kudos