Trouble with tool Geotagged Photos To Points

09-14-2022 05:03 AM
CeciliaMartinelli
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to use the Tool Geotagged Photos To Points but I have the following error, that I don't understand:

Input Folder     E:\...\foto
Output Feature Class     C:\Users\HRT\Documents\ArcGIS\Packages\Irpinia_final_e31e05\p30\irpinia_final.gdb\foto_GeoTaggedPhotosToPoints2
Invalid Photos Table     
Include Non-GeoTagged Photos     ALL_PHOTOS
Add Photos As Attachments     ADD_ATTACHMENTS
=====================
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\phototopoint.py", line 182, in <module>
    GeoPhotoToPoint(folder, fc, badphotostable, addnongps, attachphotos)
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\phototopoint.py", line 80, in GeoPhotoToPoint
    row = MakeRow(null, file, timestamp, x, y, z, direc)
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\phototopoint.py", line 128, in MakeRow
    if "T" in timestamp: # sometimes the timestamps are isoformat
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

Failed script (null)...
Failed to execute (GeoTaggedPhotosToPoints).

The photos have the same format, taken togheter, all have coordinates ... I tried to upload them on ArcGis one by one and for some of them the tool works, other it fails and I don't get on which basis. Does anyone know why and how to solve it?

In the attachments two examples: img1 doesn't work, img2 works

I'm using ArcGis Pro 3.0.0

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III

Maybe the problem is the recording date. If I understand it right the tool tries to write the recording date of the foto in the attribute table ... has img1 a recording date?

https://pro.arcgis.com/de/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/geotagged-photos-to-points.h...

EDIT: no it's not the problem - the value is then "Null" of the date field - so I don't know ...

btw I can convert both pictures to point but without the option "add photos as attachment" (don't have a advanced license)

JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cecilia.  Superstition tells me that writing the output to a package GDB might cause an issue.  Try writing to a default geodatabase, without adding attachments at first. Maybe also copy the photos to a folder on C:\ and make sure there's a good chunk of free space for the output - a folder of hi-res photos can take a lot of space.

AFackler_NAPSG
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone found an actual solution for this? I found it to be very hit and miss. Some of my colleagues are unable to reproduce, but I run into it with every computer I try. Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
BrianKreb
New Contributor II

I ran the photo to points tool in ArcMap, then Insert Tab and imported the map to ArcPro 3.0.1 and that worked for me. Some of my other coworkers are still having issues. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

@BrianKreb please update to the ArcGIS Pro 3.0.4 patch which has been available for a few weeks to see the issue resolved. 

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDE1Mjc4Ng== 

0 Kudos
NathanielEskridge
New Contributor

I too was getting this ..."if "T" in timestamp: # sometimes the timestamps are isoformat
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable"

Using ArcGIS Pro 3.0 with 3,818 S123 dirived Photos.

Work around: Used ArcMap 10.8.1, worked like a charm with no error.

0 Kudos
TimCLC
by
New Contributor II

Getting the same problem. Photos are from an iPhone 12. Tried multiple iterations; changing location of original photos, making very simple file name and directory path for photos, using Default.gdb and another .gdb

Is the script failing to read the EXIF data or something? 

File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\phototopoint.py", line 182, in <module>
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\phototopoint.py", line 80, in GeoPhotoToPoint
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\phototopoint.py", line 128, in MakeRow
Failed script (null)...
0 Kudos
Gwen_Evans
New Contributor

I'm getting the same problem. A coworker was able to execute the tool with no problem, but it won't work for me. Photos were taken with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro.

Here is the error message.

Failed script (null)...

0 Kudos
AFackler_NAPSG
Occasional Contributor

Hey all, I think I nailed down what is causing this and will work with Esri support soon.

I tried to run this on Pro version 2.9, but when I updated to 3.0 the tool failed with the error above. Currently no workaround, other than pulling it into ArcMap or an older version of Pro