Transformation from WGS1984, EGM96 Global to NAD 1983

05-22-2014 07:59 AM
NolaStein
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am trying to find the correct transformation to convert a shapefile in WGS 1984, EGM96 Global into NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N.

I am not very familiar with WGS 1984 and EGM96 Global. Can I still use the NAD_183_To_WGS_1984_7 transformation (this is for Saskatchewan, Canada)? My projection is not defined when I bring it into ArcGIS 10.2.1. Can I just use the WGS 1984 projection?

Will my elevation data still be correct?

Thank you for your help in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

EGM96 Global should mean that the z values are geoidal heights (relative to) based on the EGM96 geoid model. That's a very commonly used worldwide geoid model.

When projecting the data, the Z values are unchanged currently, so they'll still be EGM96 geoidal heights.

You'll need to define the input coordinate system. Are you sure that it's WGS84? Surveyed data, if it's been RTK or post-processed is usually on the control network's coordinate system. In Canada, that would be NAD 1983 (CSRS), rather than NAD 1983.

Melita
0 Kudos
NolaStein
New Contributor II
Hello Melita,

Thank you for the fast response. It turns out that Pathfinder Office has a default coordinate system set and I can change the coordinate system within the program. There is not need for me to use a transformation in ArcGIS 10.2 anymore.

Thank you once again for your help.
0 Kudos