Tools Running, Succeeding, but never actually finishing

11-22-2013 04:38 AM
RichardHughes3
New Contributor III
Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing a problem with my geoprocessing tools.  This problem forces me to kill ArcMap, end tasks, and restart ArcMap hoping it won't happen again.

What is happening is that a tool (ie. Append) will run to add an ocean polygon feature class to a waterbodies feature class with "No-Test".  The results window says Succeeded at Fri Nov 222 09:23:53 2013 (Elapsed Time 0.56 seconds).  However, the background process is still running and the results are never provided. 

I make maps, crunch data, and work a lot in ArcGIS.  Lately I have become good at killing it because the tools hang.  What types of solutions do you have aside from re-installing ArcMap 10.2.  Maybe a python re-install?

Thanks,

Richard
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardHughes3
New Contributor III
Update:

I went into the Results window and the Append tool shows the hour glass.  I right clicked Output Features and chose to Add To Display.  The new waterbodies feature class was added to the display.  However, the background process is still running.  The lock on my geodatabase is still there.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I make maps, crunch data, and work a lot in ArcGIS.  Lately I have become good at killing it because the tools hang.  What types of solutions do you have aside from re-installing ArcMap 10.2.  Maybe a python re-install?

When things get weird, my advice is to first try resetting your application profile, and if that doesn't work, attempt a repair-install of ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS 64 bit geoprocessing. A full reinstall is truly a last resort.

I would also check out your system resources, make sure your %TEMP% folder/disk is not getting too full.

Have you tried running the process in the foreground (Geoprocessing/Options, click off background processing) and seeing if you get an error message or different behaviour?
0 Kudos