Sum polygons if they are within another polygon

Jump to solution
11-05-2012 08:38 PM
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
hey!

attachment:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19044[/ATTACH]

I need the sum shape_area of the blue and black polygons (feature class B) which are within the selected green polyon (feature class A, hollow polygonfilling) written in the polygon A attribute.
I tried a spatial join, but this only worked in the other direction, by joining the attributes from the big polygon A to the "compleytely_within" polygons B. Or is there a possibility to merge this results afterwards, if so how?

best regards
andreas
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Try this two-steps approach:
1. Select all blue/black polygons B which are in large green polygon A using Select By Location from Selection menu.
2. Use Summary Statistics tool (Analysis->Statistics->Summary Statistics) to calculate summary area for each type of polygon B with settings:
  - Statistics Field: Shape_Area
  - Statistics Type: SUM
  - Case field: type field - the field based on which you differentiate polygons color.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcinGasior
1. Select all blue/black polygons B which are in large green polygon A using Select By Location from Selection menu.
2. Use Summary Statistics tool (Analysis->Statistics->Summary Statistics) to calculate summary area for each type of polygon B with settings:
  - Case field: type field - the field based on which you differentiate polygons color.
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor

worked fine thx!
I just used as type field my "capture date" and in fact, that the format is sometimes dd.mm.yy and sometimes with dd.mm.yy + time I got seperated values. Can i drop the time before in my attribute column?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19045[/ATTACH]

gz
andreas
0 Kudos
MarcinGasior
worked fine thx!
I just used as type field my "capture date" and in fact, that the format is sometimes dd.mm.yy and sometimes with dd.mm.yy + time I got seperated values. Can i drop the time before in my attribute column?

To drop the time: create new column and use this simple expression in Field Calculator with Python parser:
!Erfassungsdatum![:10]
(which takes only first 10 characters)

By the way, if you've found my previous answer helpful, mark my post as answered using voting tools:
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
To drop the time: create new column and use this simple expression in Field Calculator with Python parser:
!Erfassungsdatum![:10]
(which takes only first 10 characters)

By the way, if you've found my previous answer helpful, mark my post as answered using voting tools:

thx a lot, everythings fine!
I marked it - for sure! Just waited for this answer 😉

king regards
andreas
0 Kudos