Strange behaviour with "Locate Features Along Routes"

Jump to solution
02-19-2015 06:19 AM
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

I'm having some strange behaviour with the "Locate Features Along Routes" function with ArcGIS 10.1.

I have:

• One feature class with line geometry with an attribute I want to create linear events from.
  • 45 feature classes with the defined routes

I want:

• Event tables per route

To create my events I iterate over the routes and create one event table per route, using the arcpy.LocateFeaturesAlongRoutes_lr() function.

My initial test on a couple of the routes worked fine, but when I attempt to run though all of them I get this:

Executing: LocateFeaturesAlongRoutes C:\Work\FGDB.gdb\Features C:\Work\FGDB.gdb\Route1 RID "1 Meters" C:\Work\FGDB.gdb\EventTable "RID LINE FromM ToM" FIRST DISTANCE ZERO FIELDS M_DIRECTON

Start Time: Thu Feb 19 14:41:01 2015

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

The table was not found. [EventTable]

Failed to execute (LocateFeaturesAlongRoutes).

Failed at Thu Feb 19 14:41:02 2015 (Elapsed Time: 1,00 seconds)

I run through the database (just added some exception handling to list the ones with errors) and find that 16 out of the 45 routes give this error, while the rest go through ok.

I wondered if it could be my script, but the same routes fail when I use the tool in ArcMap.

I've checked the input data, and can't really find what the issue is with the 16 problem routes. Some of them are short and easy (one feature), others of them are longer and more complex. All of the routes have measures set, with nothing particular shoving up using the Route Measure Anomalies display.

Anyone else seen something like this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

OK, I figured it out. The Attribute featureclass has multipart features, which are organized in a very strange way. Use the Multipart to Singlepart tool to convert the Attribute fc to single parts and run the tool using the single part fc. This is working. ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Håvard Moe‌, did you have a chance to look at the Multipart to Single part tool for your data?

0 Kudos
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

Hi Xander Bakker​. I'm sorry for not being able to respond any sooner, as I've been away on vacaton. The Attribue featureclass is indeed organised a bit strange, mostly because the data were not originally intended for this purpose. I recognize the two parts you show as areas where the geometry of the routes have been updated, and not getting any events here is as expexted.

I have now run a few tests against the single part version of the attribute data and it seems to be working fine. Many thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor III

There is a known bug related to this issue, here is part of my Esri Support ticket:

[#NIM099481  The Locate Features Along Routes tool fails with error message, "999999: The table was not found," in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1.  ]
[#NIM098098  The Locate Features Along Routes tool displays the following error message, "999999: The table was not found,".]

The issue is not reproducible at ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 SP1 and only reproducible at 10.2/10.2.1. Therefore the user may role back to 10.1 in order to run the tool successfully.

I see that you're using 10.1, but perhaps we missed something in our testing and 10.1 is also affected.  I just realized, the rest of the info is relevant, too: The Esri Support tech wanted to close the ticket when he found the first bug which identified the issue as being related to multipart features.  But my issue did not include multipart features, so he created the 099481 bug, which is escalated and still open with a High severity.