Splitting Line Features with Multiple Selected Verticies

01-25-2018 08:18 AM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

So I have a lot of line segments that I need to split and remove a small portion of (trails that cross roads, where I don't want the road crossings to be part of the trail).

Currently I've been having to tediously use the Split Line Feature and select the first node and split the trail and the road crossing.  Then select the 2nd part of the split line and move it back to the other side of the road to create that gap where the road crossing is and then draw in the new crosswalk line.

My question is there a simple way to actually be able to manually select multiple points on a line and split the line that way?  I've tried using ALT which works a lot of times for selecting multiple things, but it doesn't seem to work this way.  

I just would find it a lot easier to split the line in two places to create 3 features where I can then designate the road crossing a lot easier by just changing it's feature code...

Thanks

Here is how I want my line to look when it's complete.  B is how I want to split the line only once, but in 2 places so that 3 polyline features are created.

Example

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

By any chance is there a polyline or polygon layer for the road extents? 

If you do and have access to an Advanced Licence level and have ArcGIS Desktop, here's one way to do it:

• If there is a polygon layer for the roads, one could use Erase to remove the segments from the road extents.  Erase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   This would be a very fast way to do them all in one shot.
  • I there is a polyline layer for the roads, one could split the lines by first finding the intersections to create points, then splitting by those points.  There are several ways to do this, but one that immediately comes to mind is first using Intersect and setting the output type to points, then run Split Line By PointIntersect—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Split Line at Point—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

If an Advanced license it not available, there are other ways to do this.  Post what license level you have.

Assuming the reason the trail needs to be split out is for display purposes, there also may be opportunities to use Representations for what you need instead of splitting up the lines manually.  However, that will depend on your data and take some setup time.  If this is for figure(s) that needs to be updated on regular basis it may be worth doing.

What are representations?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

Yes I have access to Advanced licences, but our road layers are center lines (and those aren't even that accurate), but this is also more a general question about the ability to split lines using multiple points rather than having to split the line once, reelecting the line again and splitting it in the next spot and so on.  I just used this as my current example, but I have other projects that aren't roads and trails at all.

So without actually making it more complex, I just was curious if there was anyway to do this as trying ALT, SHIFT with the split doesn't allow me to do multiple splits at a single time...

0 Kudos