Splitting a line (network) at all intersections - in a Production db

Jump to solution
08-15-2013 01:35 AM
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor
Hi All

I have a river feature class. I want it to split at all intersections.
This affect can be achieved by use of "Feature To Line (Data Management)"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26721[/ATTACH] I have no idea why this image is so annoyingly small - look in the link above to see full size...

But this function will insist to write the result to a new feature class...!

I work in a Production environment (specifically a Nautical Information Server) which is a central (enterprise) and Versioned Oracle data base. I want the result of the process to go back to the input feature class, replacing the original rivers.

Is there a 'Production' variant of this tool?
How do I achieve the desired effect in a Production environment?

Best regards
Martin
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
I think you are looking for either the "Planarize Lines" or "Line Intersection" tool in the Advanced Editing toolbar. Only works in an edit session and the new geometry will be saved to the original FC upon saving your edits.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Martin,

What is intersecting the river network? In a river network the intersections are the nodes of the polylines, it would not be a network if this was not the case?

So are you attempting to intersect the rivers with another layer (e.g. a road network)?  If you ran the intersect tool with say a road and river dataset you get the intersection points. If you are using ArcInfo(Advance) then you could use the Split Line at Point tool.

What ever you do, using the off the shelf geo-processing tools will result in a new a FeatureClass of split polylines.

Duncan
0 Kudos
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
I am guesing that the problem is that your 'network' is not properly intersected.
that is: at a river branch, one line continues on past the intersction and the other line ends there.
You want both of the branches to end at the upper end of the joined stream (as well they should).

You could, I supppose, perform the featute to line (creating a new feature class),
delete all the affected features from the source feature class,
and append the output features back into the source....
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
I think you are looking for either the "Planarize Lines" or "Line Intersection" tool in the Advanced Editing toolbar. Only works in an edit session and the new geometry will be saved to the original FC upon saving your edits.
0 Kudos
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor

What is intersecting the river network?

I deliberately avoided the word 'network'. What I have is a polyline feature class, which happens to be rivers, it could just as well have been roads, or something else. I have no other data.

What ever you do, using the off the shelf geo-processing tools will result in a new a FeatureClass of split polylines.

Exactly. All the standard tools output new feature classes. For the reasons described I can't use that.
0 Kudos
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor
I am guesing that the problem is that your 'network' is not properly intersected.
that is: at a river branch, one line continues on past the intersction and the other line ends there.
You want both of the branches to end at the upper end of the joined stream (as well they should).

You are spot on. This is the description, as I should have written it.

You could, I supppose, perform the featute to line (creating a new feature class),
delete all the affected features from the source feature class,
and append the output features back into the source....

You are right, and I have thought about that. The reason it's not optimal is that this substitution would give all lines new IDs (object ID, GlobalID, etc.) and many complex details in the Esri enterprise production environment rely on these IDs. Replacing them would break many of these connections, or at least initialise a lot of updating procedures. It would look like a lot of rivers have been deleted and a lot of new rivers have appeared.
0 Kudos
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Chris Snyder

The "Production Editing Advanced" toolbar was exactely what I needed!

"Intersecting lines (Production Mapping)" was the tool I was looking for.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01030000026v000000

🙂 Thanks
0 Kudos