Snapping points to linear features...

08-05-2010 09:34 AM
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Is there a tool or multiple tools that would assist me in snapping multiple points to the closest linear feature, which in turn will be used for linear referencing.  Thanks in advance for any help!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlejandroMata
New Contributor
Are you thinking the topology rule for points - "must be covered by" lines? It might give you the association between points and lines, but doesn't snap or move your points to the nearest lines. I think these are two different things.

Hi Dan !

I want to make virtual lines to connect a point layer to a line layer, and i want that these lines are included in the lines layer.

As the image shown below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11578[/ATTACH]

I was trying to make a topology with the rule " Point must be covered by lines ", it select all the points but i dont know how to create the lines to connect between the layers. Do you have some suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Once you have the POINT_X and POINT_Y of points and the NEAR_X and NEAR_Y in the same table (as I decribed in the beginning), you can use the XY To Line tool with the default Line Type - Geodesic, if you have ArcGIS 10. This tool creates a line using the two point coordinates in each row of your table.

Please be aware that the line created by this tool is a geodetic line - a curving line along the surface of the earth - not a planar line; and it is densified with many vertices. Theoretically there is a difference in length between the geodesic line and the planar line between two points, but at this level of detail, that difference is ignorable. You may also use the Generalize tool (Editing toolbox, Editor license) with a reasonable tolerance to remove the unwanted vertices, so that your lines become two-point straight lines. To avoid mis-use of this tool, we might consider developing a different tool in the future for creating planar lines between two points.
0 Kudos
AlejandroMata
New Contributor
1812;168209 wrote:
Once you have the POINT_X and POINT_Y of points and the NEAR_X and NEAR_Y in the same table (as I decribed in the beginning), you can use the XY To Line tool with the default Line Type - Geodesic, if you have ArcGIS 10. This tool creates a line using the two point coordinates in each row of your table.

Hi Dan !

Im using ArcGis 9.3, if i dont have ArcGis 10, what can i do ?

Greetings !
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
This tool was part of the previous Military Analyst extension in 9.3. If you don't have that, can you write a python script to read the coordinates and write out line features? If you don't know how, you can try to post your question on the Python Forum; someone might already have the code to help you. I am afraid I don't have the time to work on this now.
0 Kudos