Show length of selected line features in a window in ArcGIS 10.1

03-27-2013 12:54 AM
AchimAbromeit
New Contributor
Hi guys,
I use ArcGIS 10.1 and I very often have to determine the overall length of selected line features. Till now, I get that length by using the statistic-tool. But i'd like to have a tool that generates a window in which the overall length is automatically shown and refreshed whenever I change the selection. Any hints?

Thanx in advance, Achim
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Hi Achim,

You could use Calculate Geometry on a new field in the attribute table to find the length and then use the Identify Tool to click on the lines to have the Identify window prompt on the screen.  This will show all of the attribute values including the length field you created.

Matt
0 Kudos
AchimAbromeit
New Contributor
Hi Matt and thanks for your answer.

But the way you discribe doesn't show me the summarized lenght of the selected features. If I am not wrong, I can only get the length of every single feature i selected - but I need to get the sum!

Anyway, you gave the right direction: I now did find a way! I don't know what the tool/window is called in english (as I use the german version), but in german it is called "Auswahlstatistik"; maybe it is exactly what you meant :cool:
0 Kudos
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
A co-worker developed this add-in that has a window that shows the total length of selected lines or area of selected polygons.
0 Kudos
AchimAbromeit
New Contributor
Anyone who can transform the add-in delivered by "stringtheory" to metric values?
0 Kudos