Select tool in Model Builder creates new feature class

05-18-2010 01:31 PM
NeilCurri
New Contributor II
Does anyone know why does the Select tool in Model Builder creates a new feature class? I only want to populate values in a field in the attribute table based on the selection and keep the rest of the features. If I were doing this manually, the features that satisfied the query would simply be highlighted and I could open the attribute table and populate the data in the selected features. But when using the Select tool in Model Builder, it wants to put the selection into a new feature class, discarding the features that don't satisfy the query.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,

There are two tools which are similar, but differ in their use and output.
Select, which you're using extracts the values which satisfy your query into a new featureclass.
Based on your notes I think you'll want to use "Select Layer by Attribute" within your model. This keeps the layer but places a selection set on it (like you see in ArcMap with the selected features).

Does anyone know why does the Select tool in Model Builder creates a new feature class? I only want to populate values in a field in the attribute table based on the selection and keep the rest of the features. If I were doing this manually, the features that satisfied the query would simply be highlighted and I could open the attribute table and populate the data in the selected features. But when using the Select tool in Model Builder, it wants to put the selection into a new feature class, discarding the features that don't satisfy the query.
0 Kudos