Select polygons from another layer based on % overlap

Jump to solution
04-07-2017 08:35 PM
MalcolmLittle
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have two polygon layers (shown in the attached image). I want to be able to select the smaller polygons from the cyan-colored parcels that are at least 80% covered by the larger reddish polygon layer. Then of course I would create a new layer from the selection.

How would I make a selection based on 80% or greater overlap from another polygon layer?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

select by location for those that intersect,  remove the select by location for those that are completely within, will give you those that are partially within.  Intersect those, retaining area information will allow you to calculate and sift the remainder.

Then there is Tabulate intersection... I only mention it should you have an Advanced license.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

select by location for those that intersect,  remove the select by location for those that are completely within, will give you those that are partially within.  Intersect those, retaining area information will allow you to calculate and sift the remainder.

Then there is Tabulate intersection... I only mention it should you have an Advanced license.

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

same question asked by Ajitkumar Babar, read this thread:

https://community.esri.com/thread/177192

you can try my answer it is posted there.