Request to split ArcGIS geoprocessing forum into subtopics

08-09-2010 03:30 PM
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

I noticed that the ArcGIS "Functions" forum topics have the following breakdown as of 08/09/2010:

(apologies for the poor formatting...)
FORUM----------------------------THREADS%-------POSTS%
-------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Data--------------------------1.00%------------0.64%
Cartography-----------------------4.44%------------4.36%
Data Models-----------------------3.08%------------2.14%
Enterprise GIS--------------------0.79%------------0.42%
Geocoding-------------------------0.36%------------0.16%
Geodatabases/ArcSDE------------27.22%----------27.94%
Geoprocessing--------------------45.27%-----------48.01%
Imagery/Raster Data-------------12.61%-----------12.11%
Interoperability and Standards--1.29%-------------0.73%
Map Automation------------------3.15%-------------3.18%
Map Templates--------------------0.79%-------------0.31%
Nautical Mapping------------------0.00%-------------0.00% (Nautical Mapping?)
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL------------------------------100%--------------100%

Based on this summary, it is quite easy to see that the Geoprocessing forum topic has by far the most traffic in terms of thread topics and "chatter" about those topics. I would like to formally request that esri split the existing Geoprocessing forum topic into at least three subtopics:

1. Geoprocessing (General)
2. ModelBuilder
3. Scripting (e.g. Python) - Personally I would put 'Map Automation via Python scripting' in here as well since it is so related...

Another simpler option would be to just create a new forum topic called "Scripting" 🙂

As a dedicated contributor to the poorly organized existing Geoprocessing forum, I find it hard to continue my contributions when there is an ever-increasing volume of seemingly non-relevant thread posts and an ever increasing level of disorganization within (in it's current state) an EXTREEMLY broad topic that obviously needs to be split into at least several sub-topics. in it's current incarnation, it includes nearly half of all the posts in the entire ArcGIS "Functions" category. Seems a bit out of whack to me...

Also, I have to say it: I am baffled that there is an apparently new forum topic called "Nautical Mapping" (0 posts so far), and NOT a dedicated ModelBuilder or Scripting forum. Cmon... Nautical Mapping? :confused: What the?!?!

Please esri - I am not alone in my frustrations here...
0 Kudos
81 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
but please do not go back to the old style.

I guess a bit of clarification.  It seems that slowly but surely more forum sections are being generated, and now they want SDE broken out, so that is what I mean by old style.  Fix the search, institute better tagging, limit the forum topics, so if new ones are to be added for gp, have only 3 rather than 4.  Less is more.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Since I am no longer commenting on this thread (final promise)...I await Jim and the Friday-beer-lubricated-gp team to chime in...or more importantly someone other our current contributors from the vast number of viewers to post their contributions.  If this is all we have to offer and there are no other opinions, then they should be able to implement a decision.
Regards
4 forum reader max
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III
I'd also love to eventually see the Help systems integrated with the forum systems for a help-wiki hybrid

I actually find that searching on the help page and getting forum posts is really irritating. I know what I am looking for in the help usually and having to modify my search or fish through all the extraneous results is something I would rather not have to deal with. I like the stack-exchange concept but I feel that it is easier for question to get lost in that system. They get pushed off the bottom of the page and people dont get answers. We arent seeing very heavy traffic now but if traffic picked up a lot you could quickly lose questions if your answer people arent diligent. I still say no split.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Closure?
Decisions?
Silence on the issue???
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Closure?
Decisions?
Silence on the issue???

Deciding to split would be a lot easier if there was a stronger consensus.  Like when we split the extensions forums.  

From what I'm seeing in this thread the input has been very light (compared to the total number of GP forum users) and those who have weighed in are collectively divided.    Until the community strongly wants a change, we should probably leave it as-is.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Jim,

Seeing that the majority of the Geoprocessing-related questions seem to be in the "ArcGIS Desktop-General" forum, it might make sense to post (cross-post?) this thread there as well.

Basically the question would be:

Would users interested in "Geoprocessing" like to see additional 'split-out' forums for Python Scripting, ModelBuilder, etc. - or is a single all-inclusive "Geoprocessing" forum good enough? BTW: Until that is decided, please post your Geoprocessing-related posts to the existing "Geoprocessing" forum (in the "Functions" section)!
0 Kudos
LornaMurison
Occasional Contributor
I think that splitting the forums would help not only with the askers and the answerers, but also with those searching for answers before posting.  I often find that I'm having a model-builder issue with a certain tool, just searching for posts tagged with that tool doesn't help.  It would help if I could search for the tool within the model builder forum.

I'm for the split.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
FYI: Some posts from other forums that basically argue for a split approach. These are not "Geoprocessing" specific, and I'm not counting these as votes, but I'd like to think of them as moral support for the split concept:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/1757-New-Site-Very-Disappointing?p=19506&viewfull=1#post19506
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/2103-Who-wants-the-old-forums-back?p=6936
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/2103-Who-wants-the-old-forums-back?p=6974&viewfull=1#post6974
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/2103-Who-wants-the-old-forums-back?p=33196&viewfull=1#post33196
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/2103-Who-wants-the-old-forums-back?p=38688&viewfull=1#post38688

A current tally (hope I have everyone in the correct category):

NO SPLIT (3 vote)
----------------
Dan Patterson
Ted Cronin
Chris Mathers

YES SPLIT (6 votes):
---------------
Chris Snyder
R.D Harles
Dave Bouwman
Chris Sergant
Sheri Norton
Lorna Murison

Yes of course ESRI employees are avid forum users and contributors, but I am still not counting their votes. I'm not saying this is the case, but there is potential bias in that ESRI made the decision to lump the topics (at a relatively high management level I assume), and that if there was lower level disagrement it would be a disenting opinion. Therefore, it would be hard to discern if the ESRI vote was from the gut or just agreeing with the boss.

Yes, nine votes is a disappointingly small sample, but regardless, a 2:1 ratio favoring a split...

Anyone?!?! Chime in!
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
You do have a point Chris, but knowing esri personnel, they pretty much speak their minds, and the whole idea of not wanting to upset the boss may not be applicable here in this situation, due to the flat nature of their management structure but then these are User forums, so it can go either way. 

I kinda see Capt. Barry as the BDFL for these here forums...
0 Kudos
BartHound
New Contributor
Put my vote in as well for splitting up these here forums for gp, into scripting (python) and at least Model Builder, along with General GP.
0 Kudos