"Field map of Join Features" not saving in Spatial Join tool (in ModelBuilder)

Jump to solution
10-05-2017 09:44 PM
erinheinrich
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I only want to my output to have two fields.

I press the add/plus button in the Spatial Join tool, then type in properties of Output Field (see screenshot) and press OK.

But there is nothing saved:

I have also tried to make a variable from Field Map of Join Features, however same thing happens - i can type it in, but nothing is saved.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinheinrich
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

For some reason that link doesn't work, but the URL is correct?

I've copied details below.

Note, I've tried the alternate solution and it still doesn't work... so not much of a solution!

I've decided for this tool that it isn't that important, so will just wait for resolution.

Thanks all!

Bug BUG-000098008

Synopsis

The Spatial Join tool displays a blank Field Mapping in Model Builder if preceding processes are deleted.

Additional Information

N/A

Alternate Solution

Remove the Spatial Join tool, and add the tool again.

Bug NumberBUG-000098008
SubmittedJul 25, 2016 02:53 PM
SeverityMedium
Applies ToArcGIS for Desktop
Version Found10.4.1
Prog LanguageN/A
Server PlatformWindows 10.0
Client PlatformWindows 10.0
DatabaseN/A
LocaleN/A
StatusIn Product Plan
Version Fixed
SP Fixed

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Aren't the fields getting automatically updated in "Field Map..." when you fill the Target/Join/Output Features parameters? You could just delete the fields (that you don't need) from the list.

Think Location
erinheinrich
New Contributor III

No - I'm creating a generic tool with parameter inputs, but I know that one of the inputs will always have field "CELL_ID"

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try specifying the save file and location first, perhaps an output verification is required before the mapping

erinheinrich
New Contributor III

as above, can't do that, that is the idea of the tool...

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think Dan may be right that the output has to be specified. This is because the output field naming can be workspace type specific, for example, shapefiles are limited to 10-char fields and gdb's are not.

In my experience if the input is coming in as a model parameter, the only sure-fire way of getting the exact field map you want is to use Calculate Value to run a Python function to create a field map. The arcpy field mapping code is tricky until you get good at it.

Another much simpler workflow to consider for dropping fields is to create an empty feature class using the feature type and coordinate system of the input, add only the fields you want, and run Append with NO_TEST. 

erinheinrich
New Contributor III

Thanks Curtis,

Yes, looks like python might be the only option, doesn't seem possible in ModelBuilder.

Unfortunately i'm terrible at python, so I might just have to deal with all the fields for the moment!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you can do that portion of the workflow manually, you can always copy the python snippet from the Results Window... at least you won't be starting with a blank slate, should you decide to go the python script and toolbox route

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A bug, you may want to check to see if they apply

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA5ODAwOA==

erinheinrich
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

For some reason that link doesn't work, but the URL is correct?

I've copied details below.

Note, I've tried the alternate solution and it still doesn't work... so not much of a solution!

I've decided for this tool that it isn't that important, so will just wait for resolution.

Thanks all!

Bug BUG-000098008

Synopsis

The Spatial Join tool displays a blank Field Mapping in Model Builder if preceding processes are deleted.

Additional Information

N/A

Alternate Solution

Remove the Spatial Join tool, and add the tool again.

Bug NumberBUG-000098008
SubmittedJul 25, 2016 02:53 PM
SeverityMedium
Applies ToArcGIS for Desktop
Version Found10.4.1
Prog LanguageN/A
Server PlatformWindows 10.0
Client PlatformWindows 10.0
DatabaseN/A
LocaleN/A
StatusIn Product Plan
Version Fixed