query to select objects in an area bounded

10-16-2014 11:13 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

really needing help with this. See the attached image. I have subdivisions represented by polygons, and within those polygons, I have more data representing sewer lines. I need to query certain size lines, within the subdivision polygon and am not sure which geoprocessing tool to use.

For example.....looking at the image.....how would I query 6" sewer lines with the North Hills Subdivisons.  Each set of data, (sewers and subdivisions) are in separate shape files.

Any guidance you folks could give would be greatly appreciate.sewers.JPG

0 Kudos
14 Replies
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mike,

I would start by doing a Select by Attributes and select all of your sewer lines with an attribute value of 6".  Perform a definition query on the subdivision layers for where the subdivision name equals North Hills Subdivisions.  Then you can do a Select by Location (based on the selected features) that intersect (or completely contains or has their centroid in; whatever you think suits your scenario the best) the North Hills Subdivisions.

I hope this helps.

Cory

MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Cory….thanks for those great steps. I have one issue, and I’m sure its on me, not you! As I do the select by location (based on the selected features) that intersect, it is picking up all pipe sizes, not just the 6” that was in the previous selection. Any ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Query using select by attributes to select the pipe size that you want first...then proceed...you are given options to select from the selected set or similar wording, but in general, make general selections/queries first, then move on to your remaining processes

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate everyones help but I am still missing something. I set up to view only "North Hills" subdivision under that layers properties.

I then did a select by attribute, selecting only 6" pipe.  See image 1.jpg (only 6" pipe selected)

then I did a select by location, using the selection set of sewer lines, intersecting with the subdivision layer. See image 2.jpg.

See Image 3.jpg as the result.  8" pipe is then selected along w/ 6"1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

0 Kudos
CoryMacNeil1

Hi Mike, try changing your Selection Type from NEW_SELECTION to CURRENTLY SELECTED (or something similar to that.

Cheers,

Cory

0 Kudos
CoryMacNeil1

Hi Mike,

Take a look at my Select by Location Window.  Notice that the Selection Method is set to ‌select from the currently selected features in

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you missed.... ...you are given options to select from the selected set or similar wording,....

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

how about "subset". See attached image.  Also, I'm a bit concerned that I may be using a different tool than you. Mine says "select layer by location" and your says "select by location"subset.JPG

0 Kudos
CoryMacNeil1

SUBSET_SELECTION should work.  You can use the Selection menu at the top of the screen and when you do the Select By Location option becomes available.  Essentially the same thing.