Problems with Pyramids and 'Mosaic to new raster'

02-04-2014 12:26 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jofuchs

Hi everybody,

I want to mosaic about 20 raster datasets to one new raster dataset. Everything works fine so far, but only the visualization of the output is for some zoom level incomplete.
When I zoom in the areas with incomplete visualization become visualized, so I suggested that this a problems with the build pyramids.

Therefore I tried two different steps:
    deleting all existing pyramids of the rasters to be mosaiced
    calculating the same pyramid level for all input rasters mosaiced
None of these attemps solved my problem! Do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
jo
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JSkinn3

Hi Jo,

This sounds like an issue with the Overviews.  Right-click on your mosaic dataset in the Catalog window > Optimize > Build Overviews.  Before executing the tool, uncheck the options 'Generate Missing Overview Images Only' and 'Regenerate Stale Overview Images Only'.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. So far I have not stored the single input rasters in a mosaic dataset, only in different Filegeodatabases. When storing them in a mosaic dataset and exporting them to one new file, the export procedure takes much longer than just using the "Mosaic to new raster tool", which leads me to the same result.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Any reason you need to use a raster dataset rather than a mosaic dataset?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: adec_gis

Hi,

I have thousands of DEM files and I'm having an issue with the mosaic to new raster output, when the processing is successful, i tried viewing the DEM raster that i created, it should show the wholes extent of what I have created. the problem is, the image is not showing, also I tried doing it on a smaller scale (per state level) I did the same process with Alabama DEM files, and it worked showing all images, I tried doing the same process with California but when i view the output, it does not show anything. I have seen that there is a patch regarding raster files, ArcGIS 10.2 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Landsat 8 Patch, if i install this patch, will the issue I'm encountering be solved? or the issue I'm having is a different error? processing error or file error?

Thanks!
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any reason you need to use a raster dataset rather than a mosaic dataset?

No there is no special reason. You are right, I can do it with the mosaic Dataset. Thank you for this hint. It worked, but it takes about the double time compared to using 'mosaic to new raster'.

So, yes my problem is fixed, your workarounbd worked for my problem, but I am interested how to solve the issue with the incomplete visualization when using the 'Mosaic to new raster' - workflow.

Jo
0 Kudos