Problems Integrating Sub-Model into Master Model

08-25-2011 02:45 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: estipe

I am attempting to integrate a iterative model into a master model to merge all of the outputs of the iterative model into one feature class. However, when I attempt to set the output of the sub-model (iterative) as the input for the merge tool, it will not allow it. I have attached two pictures of each model. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Edit: I was able to connect the merge to the Output Values of the sub-model, but it is now returning an error upon completion:

ERROR 000622: Failed to execute (Merge). Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000400: Duplicate inputs are not allowed

Failed to execute (Merge).

I have attached a photo of the new composite model
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidAllen
Occasional Contributor
Eric - your problem is that the model with the iterator can only be called the one time, and will return only one value back to the calling model. It's not a steady back-and-forth thing where the iterator returns a vlaue to the calling model for each run.

So here's what you do.

Create a model that will prompt the user for a new feature class name - and have it use the field scheme from an existing FC that would be used in the merge. Then call the iterating model ... but at the end of that model run the append command and append the results to the FC that the user created. In the sub-model, the results of each iteration are appended to the FC as they are derived. When it's done, it will return to the calling model and end.

Check out this books for more on ModelBuilder:
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=195&moduleID=0

It has a LOT of good info on using iterators and interacting with feature classes.

David Allen
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: estipe

David,

I have successfully manipulated the sub-model and the outer model to achieve my desired outcome. Thank you for your advice as it worked wonderfully. I am attaching two images of the models for anyone in the future that might have the same issues.

Eric
0 Kudos