Problem with multilines to singleparts

05-17-2013 01:41 AM
AnnaWolowicz
New Contributor
I'm new here and I have a big problem with clipping - the same is appearing after intersect.
I have a line which is going through one place to be cut in (polygon in the irregular shape)- when I do clip or interesect - it becames out as multiline. And when I explode it, it becames a many small lines, but I want them just to be 2 single parts, not so many single
parts. The demonstration on the jpg
Could anyone help me? I would be really grateful.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I'm new here and I have a big problem with clipping - the same is appearing after intersect.
I have a line which is going through one place to be cut in (polygon in the irregular shape)- when I do clip or interesect - it becames out as multiline. And when I explode it, it becames a many small lines, but I want them just to be 2 single parts, not so many single
parts. The demonstration on the jpg
Could anyone help me? I would be really grateful.

Edit:  Reexamined your line data and realized the breaks are not due to the polygon shapes, but due to the lines crossing each other.  To fix that add a Dissolve at the end of your current process with the Multipart option unchecked.  Set the unique attribute case fields of the Dissolve to be equal to the FID of the original line and the FID of the originally intersected parcel (probably using Intersect in your prior steps is better to use than Clip, unless Clip also transfers polygon attributes to your lines like the Intersect tool does).  That should eliminate all line breaks due to intersection with other lines except self intersections of the original lines where they formed branches.  That is a special case requiring additional handling, but I won't cover that unless you confirm it affects your data.
0 Kudos
AnnaWolowicz
New Contributor
Edit:  Reexamined your line data and realized the breaks are not due to the polygon shapes, but due to the lines crossing each other.  To fix that add a Dissolve at the end of your current process with the Multipart option unchecked.  Set the unique attribute case fields of the Dissolve to be equal to the FID of the original line and the FID of the originally intersected parcel (probably using Intersect in your prior steps is better to use than Clip, unless Clip also transfers polygon attributes to your lines like the Intersect tool does).  That should eliminate all line breaks due to intersection with other lines except self intersections of the original lines where they formed branches.  That is a special case requiring additional handling, but I won't cover that unless you confirm it affects your data.

Thank you soooo much for an answer. It helped a lot with dissolve.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Thank you soooo much for an answer. It helped a lot with dissolve.

You probably figured this out, but you do not have to limit yourself to the line and polygon FID fields.  You could choose all of the fields of your intersected feature set in the unique case field (the fields from the original lines and the fields from the original polygons) as long as you do not include the new ObjectID field of the currently Intersected feature set.  As long as the unique field values you choose do not prevent lines from combining that you want combined this method can be used to retain the full set of attributes from your original Intersect inputs in the final Dissolve output.

Also, please add a point or an answer check on the right side of my post if it helped you.  Those votes are the best way to help others find answers more quickly.
0 Kudos