Polyline buffer on Right Side produces erroneous results

03-29-2013 07:47 AM
AustinMilt
New Contributor III
I am attempting to buffer only the inside of a polygon to create a doughnut effect. To do so, I first use "Polygon to Line (Data Management)" to convert the polygon to a polyline. I then use "Buffer (Analysis)" with a "Side Type" set to "RIGHT". This produces an erroneous result where (I believe) the origin of the polyline has an extra crossed section of polygon (see below).

As an alternative solution, I suppose I could 1) buffer the original polygon with a negative "OUTSIDE" buffer, then 2) "Erase" the smaller polygon from the original one.

I mainly wanted to flag this as an error in the software. If there is somewhere else I should have posted it, such remarks are helpful.

In the below image, the bold black line is the original polygon boundary turned into a polyline. The light blue polygon is the "RIGHT" buffered polyline which has the erroneous bow on one part. This occurs for both rectangular and circular polygons (I thought it might have something to do with the intersection angle).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23083[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
0 Replies