Point tot point distance gives error message

07-19-2011 12:55 PM
PhilippeVan_De_Vreken1
New Contributor
Hi folks,

I have a problem with the 'Point Distance' tool to determine the distances from input point features to all points in a second point feature layer. After starting the tool, I always get the following error message: "Error 999999: error executing function". Both feature layers have the same projected coordinate system and are rather small (4 records in the input feature layer and 73 records in the near feature layer). I really don't get the problem.

Does anyone know what can cause the error message and how can I solve this?

Many thanks!

Phil
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ViktorZhong
New Contributor
I had the same problem when I tried 'point distance'. It seems the problem has something to do with where you save the output. I totally have no idea why, but when I created a new file geodatabase under the desired directory and saved the 'point distance' output in the geodatabase, it worked.
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes 999999 errors are quite mysterious. However, I have found they often have to do with the output paths or field names being invalid for the output workspace. For example, if you chose dbf output (folder workspace) instead of geodatabase, the field names (which are based on your input) may have not been valid for dbf. (Geodatabase tables  allow longer field names and more 'unusual' table and field names.)

0 Kudos
PhilippeVan_De_Vreken1
New Contributor
Indeed, now it works! Thank you so much!!!
0 Kudos
PuzhenWang
New Contributor

that works, thank you!

0 Kudos