PLS RESPOND!!! - Overlay Route Events NOT WORKING!!!!!

07-27-2012 12:03 PM
AlanTabbernor
New Contributor
I'm trying to overlay a POINT event layer and a LINE event layer with a UNION.

When I use the tool Overlay Route Events I get 'ERROR 999999: Error executing function."
and "Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents)."

The tool works fine when I choose INTERSECT but I want the UNION of these two event layers.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Can somebody please try this same operation and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks,
Al
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SolomonPulapkura
Occasional Contributor III
Did you check the help?

The output event properties must be defined as type POINT when an INTERSECT overlay is performed. The output event properties must be defined as type LINE when a UNION overlay is performed.

Have you setup the tool this way?
0 Kudos
AlanTabbernor
New Contributor
Yes the tool is set up this way.  The tool chooses the output type for you based on your inputs so that isn't the problem.  Have you gotten the Overlay Route Events tool to successfully perform a UNION on POINT and LINE events layers?
0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor
Hi Al,

I was able to do what you describe with the data I tried.

All my data is in a File GDB. 
1) I made a route event layer for both my point and line events
2) I then used the EVENT LAYERS (not the tables) as input in the Overlay Route Events gp tool.
3) The point event layer was the "Input Event Table", and the "Overlay Event Table" was the line event layer.
4) I did a UNION, it succeeded and created an output line event table, which then displays along my route.

So - I'm wondering if maybe it's data specific? or format specific? or something with your workflow?

Can you describe your data
- what format is it?
- what field type is the Route ID field? is it consistent between the two event tables
- are you using the event tables as input? or the event layers?
- anything else that you think might be important to mention?

etc etc... the details will help me when trying to reproduce the issue.

Alternatively you could share a subset of your data and I can try with it directly (you can include your repro steps)?   If you want to share the data, but don't want to place it out for public consumption, I can send you my email and you can send it that way.

Thanks,
Heather
0 Kudos
AlanTabbernor
New Contributor
The data I am using is from a personal geodatabases (.mdb).  I am using the event layers (not the tables) as the inputs for the tool.  The Route field type is text for all of the event layers i've tried this with.  I've tried both but I usually have the POINT event layer as the 'Input Event Table'. 

I've tried outputting to a few different locations... When I try to save to a personal geodatabase (.mdb) i get a more specific error: 'ERROR 999999: Error Executing Function. The table was not found. [test]  Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents)'

When I try to save to a file geodatabase (.gdb) i get a similar error: 'ERROR 999999: Error executing function. The table was not found. The table was not found [test] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'test'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents)'

When I try to save to a plain old directory, in this case 'C:\Test' I get a less helpful error message: 'ERROR 999999: Error executing function.  Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents).'

PS I just tried copying my source tables and the route reference to a file geodatabase (.gdb) and displaying the route events all over again.  I made sure the workspace was set to the same file geodatabase and saved the output to the same location and I still get the same error.
0 Kudos
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
Had this same exact error message and what worked for me was shortening all of the input table names.  Even though you're working with a geodatabase, some of the older tools are still very peculiar about what inputs and outputs are named (no numeric digits in the beginning of the file name) and how long they are (like with *.dbf files, don't go over 8-9 digits).

If anyone else is having this issue with this tool, give this a try.  Hope this helps.

-JGraham

The data I am using is from a personal geodatabases (.mdb).  I am using the event layers (not the tables) as the inputs for the tool.  The Route field type is text for all of the event layers i've tried this with.  I've tried both but I usually have the POINT event layer as the 'Input Event Table'. 

I've tried outputting to a few different locations... When I try to save to a personal geodatabase (.mdb) i get a more specific error: 'ERROR 999999: Error Executing Function. The table was not found. [test]  Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents)'

When I try to save to a file geodatabase (.gdb) i get a similar error: 'ERROR 999999: Error executing function. The table was not found. The table was not found [test] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'test'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents)'

When I try to save to a plain old directory, in this case 'C:\Test' I get a less helpful error message: 'ERROR 999999: Error executing function.  Failed to execute (OverlayRouteEvents).'

PS I just tried copying my source tables and the route reference to a file geodatabase (.gdb) and displaying the route events all over again.  I made sure the workspace was set to the same file geodatabase and saved the output to the same location and I still get the same error.
0 Kudos