Parameters error with loading shape file

01-19-2021 08:27 AM
Sunny
by
New Contributor III

Hello, I've been trying to run a test script for converting features to points (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/feature-to-point.htm) and had some issues. 

I think the cause is being that the "clip_road" layer is not a shapefile, rather just a layer. Does that mean I need to convert/export the layer to a shapefile first? Also is there anything else that I should be editing from the properties of the scrip such as "parameters"?

Thank you,

1.png

2.png

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Where is the shapefile located?

You set the workspace to a gdb, so it is looking there for the shapefile

... sort of retired...
Sunny
by
New Contributor III

Yes, that's the part where I am confused.

"clip-road" layer is what I edited from another shapefile. Now, do I need to export this layer as a separate shapefile because I do not see "clip_road.shp" on my .gdb folder?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure the other layer ended in *.shp. ?  Perhaps it was a featureclass instead

Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Shapefiles are stored in three or more files that all have the same prefix and are stored in the same system folder (shapefile workspace)

Geoprocessing tools autogenerate an output feature class or table for you. If your scratch workspace environment is set to a system folder, and not a geodatabase, the autogenerated output feature class will be a shapefile or dBASE file.

It is suggested that you set your scratch workspace to a file geodatabase so that the autogenerated output is written to a file geodatabase, not a shapefile or .dbf table.

... sort of retired...