Output feature class of Clip tool doesn't have a Shap.Len field

11-15-2011 05:43 AM
LeoForetich_Jr
New Contributor III
When I used the Clip Analysis tool and set the output feature class to an SDE Feature Class, then use the Summary Statistics Analysis tool to sum the Shape.Len field, everything works fine.

However, when I try to use an "in_memory" output feature class with the Clip tool, there is no Shape.Len field available for the Summary Statistics tool!

Does anyone know why I am seeing this behavior? I need to use in_memory intermediate data.

Versions: SDE 10, ArcGIS Desktop 10
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
This has been reported as bug NIM063795 (The Dissolve tool creates empty Shape_Length and Shape_Area fields in an in-memory output layer during background geoprocessing). This happens when the background processing is enabled, so the workaround would be to disable background processing in the Geoprocessing options dialog.
0 Kudos
LeoForetich_Jr
New Contributor III
This has been reported as bug NIM063795 (The Dissolve tool creates empty Shape_Length and Shape_Area fields in an in-memory output layer during background geoprocessing). This happens when the background processing is enabled, so the workaround would be to disable background processing in the Geoprocessing options dialog.

Thanks a million!
0 Kudos
LeoForetich_Jr
New Contributor III
Thanks a million!

I spoke too soon.

I tried with "Background Processing" enabled and disabled, and I still cannot get the Clip tool to create an in_memory Feature Class with a Shape.Len, or Shape.Length field.

I even tried exporting the model to Python, but I get the same "ERROR 000303: Field SHAPE.LEN does not exist"

I hope someone fixes this soon. Clip is a very important tool.
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Instead of using the in_memory workspace, could you use a scratch workspace to store the intermediate datasets?
0 Kudos
LeoForetich_Jr
New Contributor III
Instead of using the in_memory workspace, could you use a scratch workspace to store the intermediate datasets?

Yep. I guess there is not alternative.

Thanks again for the help.
0 Kudos
BBicking1
Esri Contributor
Leo,

see if Calculate Value gets you what you want. Examples are here http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Calculate_Field_examples/00170000004s0...

Barbara Bicking
Geoprocessing Team
0 Kudos