OSM FIle Loader (Load Only) Failure - Error HRESULT E_FAIL

04-23-2021 12:17 AM
KentKauffman2
New Contributor

I have had OSM File Loader (Load Only) fail twice in a row with : 

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.GeoProcessorClass.IGeoProcessor2_Execute(String Name, IVariantArray ipValues, ITrackCancel pTrackCancel)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.OSM.GeoProcessing.OSMToolHelper.loadOSMNodes(List`1 osmNodeFileNames, List`1 nodeGDBNames, String featureClassName, String targetFeatureClass, List`1 tagsToLoad, Boolean deleteNodes, IGPMessages& toolMessages, ITrackCancel& CancelTracker)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.OSM.GeoProcessing.OSMGPMultiLoader.Execute(IArray paramvalues, ITrackCancel TrackCancel, IGPEnvironmentManager envMgr, IGPMessages message)

Failed to execute (OSMGPMultiLoader).

I am running the process for all of Europe. I previously ran it successfully for all of Africa and individual countries.

I am processing the osm data from a hard drive, I have tried placing the GDB being created on the HD and on the C Drive. 

I do not have enough space to have both source osm and the GDB being created on the C Drive.

Input is from the Python window, see attached txt.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would assume it's simply due to the size of the input layer. Europe's OSM file is HUGE. Germany alone is nearly as big as Africa in its entirety.

Is there a reason you couldn't run the process separately for individual countries?

Also, can you share more about what your process is? I can't imagine needing absolutely everything in the OSM database. If you're looking for specific data in OSM, a well-written Overpass query is usually the best route.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KentKauffman2
New Contributor

We use large scale OSM data from file GDB's without internet access so I need to run the whole area. I have started iterating through individual countries as an alternative.

I was hoping to just run it in one go because my laptop is decent, 4 core 2.71GHz i7 with 64GB RAM, but it seems the internal HD size and USB transfer is still a limitation.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you thought about setting up a local postgreSQL DB for this? osm2pgsql is a fantastic tool for maintaining an offline copy of the OSM database, and I would put money on it peforming a little better than FGDBs.

If you need something that's more portable, there are ways of getting OSM data into a SpatiaLite (spatial SQLite) or GeoPackage database, which is self-contained and doesn't need the destination machine to be running a psql instance.

Edit: if FGDB is the necessary output, you could still use postgres as in intermediary and then use ogr2ogr to get it into a FGDB.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos