Obtain summary statistics for selected cases in attribute table

08-21-2014 12:35 PM
kristinSaunders
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user of ArcMap and so this question might be quite simple to answer for those of you with a lot of experieince.

I have a map with three layers.One of the layers is the result of a geocoding of addresses that I did, and another layer is municipality boundaries. I would like to obtain a summary of one of the variables included in the atrribute table for my geocoding results, but I only want a summary of some of the adddress points, not for all of the ones in the table. More specifically, if the points are located within the boundaries of a certain municipality I only want to sum those cases and not all of the cases in the table.

So far I have used the selection menu to select the municipality boundary of interest and the related geocoded addresses within it. When I open my geocoded address attribute table then those cases are higlighted and the rest of the cases are not as I had hoped. I then click on the option at the bottom of the page to show only slected cases. However, when I click on summary statistics for my variable of interest it provides summary stats for allof the cases in the table, not just the selected/highlighted ones. Is there a way to obtain the summary stats (in actuallity all I am really intersted in is the sum) of just the selected cases (ie., just those geocoded addresses located within the boundaries of the specific boundary I have chosen) ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You missed one option as shown in the attached figure...the select from current selection...that will get you to where you wantSelectByAttributes.png

RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kristin,

This is from ArcMap 10.2

Right click your layer after selecting your features --> Open Attribute table --> Right click on the column header you want to summarize on (In your case this will be municipality field, you'll need a common attribute value to summarize on) --> Select Summarize.

Untitled.png

Check Summarize on the selected records only option. You should have what you want.

0 Kudos
kristinSaunders
New Contributor

Thank you to you both. I have it working now. I really appreciate the quick feedback. Kristin