Need a geoprocessing tool that can find all DTED tiles that intersect an AOI

06-11-2013 09:51 AM
ReneeCammarere
Occasional Contributor
Does a geoprocessing tool exist that can find all DTED tiles that intersect an AOI (or Polygon feature class)? I have a area of interest represented by a polygon and DTED tiles (some of which intersect with the AOI). Is there a tool that I can use to find which tiles intersect? Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
deleted-user-VeC5jUIlNXtq
Occasional Contributor III
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question but could Select By Location not solve this?

Select all DTED tiles that intersect with the AOI layer?
0 Kudos
ReneeCammarere
Occasional Contributor
@GeoffAppleby I did look into the Select By Location tool.  However I must not be using it correctly because it only displayed as "selected" the one layer that I indicated as input.  It didn't select any overlapping rasters (which is what I would need).  Somehow I don't think that this is the kind of selection that I need in this case.  Thanks so much for your suggestion though.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Does a geoprocessing tool exist that can find all DTED tiles that intersect an AOI (or Polygon feature class)? I have a area of interest represented by a polygon and DTED tiles (some of which intersect with the AOI). Is there a tool that I can use to find which tiles intersect? Thanks!

If you create a Mosaic Dataset, you can than use the included Footprint layer of the Mosaic to find out which DTED tiles intersect your AOI.
0 Kudos
deleted-user-VeC5jUIlNXtq
Occasional Contributor III
@GeoffAppleby I did look into the Select By Location tool.  However I must not be using it correctly because it only displayed as "selected" the one layer that I indicated as input.  It didn't select any overlapping rasters (which is what I would need).  Somehow I don't think that this is the kind of selection that I need in this case.  Thanks so much for your suggestion though.

Ahhhh, apologies. I didn't make the connection that it was raster data you were working with.

Sounds like mboeringa2010 has the answer though!
0 Kudos
ReneeCammarere
Occasional Contributor
Evidently there is no tool that can find all tiles that intersect an AOI.  The answer lies in creating a Python script from my C# code that does this.
0 Kudos