modelbuilder result won't add to TOC  (cont.)

06-29-2010 05:47 AM
TomStephenson
New Contributor II
This is a continued thread from the old forum:
http://forums.esri.com/thread.asp?t=303855&f=1728&c=93

If you are having trouble getting your Model result added to the table of contents when running your tool from a toolbox, make sure you first have "Add results of geoprocessing operations to the display" ticked on, in the Geoprocessing tab of the File>Options dialog in ArcMap/Catalog. Secondly, you must also have "Add to display", "Model Parameter", AND the "Managed" option all ticked on when you right-click and select the options for your output in Model Builder.  This will hide the parameters from the user when run from the toolbox, but should still hopefully add to the display.

.... of course using the "managed" option restricts your output directory and name to teh default path of the input dataset.... gurrr.... back to square one 😞 anyone else?

Tom Stephenson
0 Kudos
14 Replies
BrianHall1
New Contributor III
I run my models from the Model Builder window and have the same problem with it not "adding to display" automatically... I just rightclick on the output layer, uncheck "add to display" and check "add to display" back on... sort of annoying but it works.

I know that method is not helpful if you want less-experienced people to run it from toolbox.
0 Kudos
PapantzinCid
New Contributor III
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23365[/ATTACH]

Hello All,  I understand the limitations of ModelBuilder and adding to the Display when running outside the modelbuilder interface.  In ArcGIS 10.0 my model uses in memory for everything except the elevation clip, percent rise, and slope.  I am using inline-variables so the user only has to specify one output location for these three outputs.  Is there a way to add to display using the inline variable one parameter method?  Or is the only option removing the output workspace and making each a parameter?   I understand the derived option and using python, I am actually using this in a separate model where I have to hard code values but wanted to use out of the box options. 

On a related note.  Is there a way to change the output data type within the model?  As of now my outputs default to raster datasets  or a combination of other things, is there a way to change this?  When I open the output properties the option is grayed out.

Thank you for any help.
0 Kudos
KristinaGrace
New Contributor II
This seems to be a bug because it behaves differently. If I try to run individual tools within my model one by one, the Make Feature Layer tool adds layers to TOC if I uncheck the "Add To Display" and "Model Parameter" options in the context menu of the output layer (and I do have the "Add results of geoprocessing operations to the display" ticked on in the Geoprocessing tab of the File>Options dialog in ArcMap). When I ran the tools the same way in my previous ArcMap session, "Add To Display" and "Model Parameter" options were checked and the layers were added. Then it stopped working...
0 Kudos
KristinaGrace
New Contributor II
The Make Feature Layer tool had the workspace specified (a variable in the model). Once I removed the entry, the tool worked. Still, it worked with the workspace specified before, and then it stopped... Inconsistency.
SurendranNeelakantan
New Contributor III

Hi

I have posted a working solution here  https://community.esri.com/message/102106#102106

Please try this see if this is working.

Thanks

0 Kudos