Missing some features after merge/append

08-19-2019 09:15 AM
YuzhenLi
New Contributor

I was trying to combine many feature classes from one geodatabase into one feature class. All input feature classes have the same schema and all features are line and have the same attributes. The total number of line features is big (~ half million). I noticed quite a bit of features are missing after merging/appending. I tried both scripting (arcpy merge_management and append_management function) and using merge and append tool in ArcToolBox, I even tried to repair geometry first before merge, define extent before merge..,none of these seem to fix the issue. When I changed the computer, the missing issue still existed, just the number of missing features are different. Any suggestion or did anyone here experience this before? Did I miss anything when using merge/append? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Without seeing the data we can only guess, if after a merge you have less lines, may be they are very small and falling below the tolerance of the dataset and are collapsing to NULL geometry and are dropped?

YuzhenLi
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply Duncan Hornby It looks the missed lines are not small and they were chopped out  by some kind of extent. I am happy to share the data if I know how to upload geodatabase here. It seems I can't find how to upload data on this discussion page (relatively new here:-).  

0 Kudos
BenCapellGGT
New Contributor

I am also encountering this issue after running the arcpy.Append_management() tool. The result is 477 features in a previously empty feature class after running the append tool with a 479 count feature class.

Troubleshooting steps so far:

1. arcpy.env.extent = "MAXOF" 
    https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/environment-settings/output-extent.htm
  2. arcpy.AddSpatialIndex_management(),  Using the  479 ct feature class
    https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/environment-settings/maintain-spatial-index....

0 Kudos