Merge or dissolve roads by name, but keep records seperate if there is an address gap?

11-22-2016 01:24 PM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to dissolve or merge records by the street name AND have separate records if there is an address gap.  For example:

Input Table: (street name, low, high)

3rd Street 100-199

3rd Street 200-299

3rd Street 300-399

3rd Street 500-599

3rd Street 600-699

5th Street 600-699

5th Street 800-899

Desired Output:

3rd Street 100-399

3rd Street 500-699

5th Street 600-699

5th Street 800-899

Currently I can use Dissolve and use add the statistics for Min of low and Max of high which will create a simple dissolve, however I would like to find where there are gaps in the address.

Current (undesired results) using dissolve and statistics fields

3rd Street 100-599

5th Street 600-899

Questions:

Is it possible in ArcGIS, or Excel, or anything else to dissolve records together, but only if there is no gap in an address range?  please note: I will need to know how to do this within the table view as I will be comparing a spatial dataset to a non spatial dataset.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

Note:  I should mention that what I need is very close to Dissolving using the Unsplit lines option.  The unsplit lines option will only dissolve records if the two input lines have a end vertex in common.  However, I need to figure out how to duplicate the "Unsplit Lines" option at the tabular level.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think what you need to do is to create a second dissolve field that increments whenever there is a break, and use the address fields and the dissolve field as dissolve fields. You could use a sorted search cursor (the old flavor is easiest arcpy.UpdateCursor) and have a loop that walks through in order.