Merge annotation from all CAD files in a given directory

01-28-2011 07:50 AM
JayJohnson
New Contributor III
I'd like to create a ModelBuilder model that I can point to a directory and have the model merge all the annotation from every single DWG file that is within that directory.  I can do this if I manually select each DWG file and the annotation layer within each CAD file, but I don't want to have to manually select each input dataset, but rather just point to the directory and let the model iterate automatically.  Ideas?

Jay Johnson
Reno, NV
0 Kudos
3 Replies
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II
did you find a way to do this?
0 Kudos
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II
I'd like to create a ModelBuilder model that I can point to a directory and have the model merge all the annotation from every single DWG file that is within that directory.  I can do this if I manually select each DWG file and the annotation layer within each CAD file, but I don't want to have to manually select each input dataset, but rather just point to the directory and let the model iterate automatically.  Ideas?

Jay Johnson
Reno, NV

you may have to create an empty anno feateature class first then in the model use the Iterate Datasets tool to select each dwg and convert it to geodatabase features then select the anno using the new Select Data model tool and append it to the anno feature class you created

Iterate Dataset doc: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Iterate_Datasets/00400000000q000000/

Something like this
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
I know this is an old thread, but...
If anyone comes across this, the above post (#3) does not work.
CAD dataset type is not a means to select .dwgs, the model above does not work.
0 Kudos