Mapping the streets using coordinates (long/latitude)

05-26-2020 10:10 AM
Annalee
New Contributor II

I have two set of coordinates (long/latitude) which indicates the streets. I would like to map these streets in ArcMap and use it as a filter to match to another data. Can anyone help from the beginning? Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Points To Line—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

But I suspect if you are looking at comparisons, then you may want to compare offsets of the observations versus the existing?

Clarification might help.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Annalee
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, thank you for the link! 

Let me explain my dataset and what I want to do with it. 

The first data has a list of streets and I have the ending points (coordinates) of each street; the starting point long/lat and ending point long/lat. If I connect these two points, I believe it will select the location of the streets in the map. This will be my first step.

The second data has a list of locations (also given with coordinates) and I will point them in the map.

Eventually, I want to identify the locations that overlap on the streets. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to look at these as well... it will save you connecting the points if you are only interested in "how close" the data are representing the actual locations.

Generate Near Table—Help | Documentation 

Near—Help | Documentation 

Spatial Join—Help | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Annalee
New Contributor II

As the streets are lines (not just one location) I don't think I can use "Near" function... 

I want to find the locations on the exact street lines. Will it be possible to create multiple separate lines using the "Points to Line" function that you shared above?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Near will give you the distance from the line.  Unless you replicated all the street nuances (aka curves) and intersections, your streets generated from your observations may or may not be a good representation of existing conditions.

Perhaps you can share a typical sample of the existing network and your point locations before you spend a lot of time generating output.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos