Looking to build a model to convert kmz to shapefile.

12-01-2020 09:23 AM
EricBrons
New Contributor

I can do this process in separate steps where I convert kmz to layer and then export data to a shp. I'm looking to build a model to do this all in one process. I attached what I have. I can't figure out a way to connect the two. I will eventually need to project to a specific UTM zone so help adding that onto the end will also help greatly. Thanks!

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think the issue is that the KML tool doesn't have a direct output other than a layer file.  I think you'd have to somehow get the actual feature class path from the FGDB parameter and input KML name, easily done scripting, but I've got no idea how you'd do it in model builder.  

Are you open to scripting it?

0 Kudos
EricBrons
New Contributor

I'm not really familiar with scripting... 

I did figure out a way to do what I was trying but I have another question you may be able to help with.

So I have it set so that I can input a kmz and it will split the points, polylines, and polygons to 3 different shapefiles. It will then automatically assign a transformation from wgs84 to NAD83. I can then manually select what coordinate system to apply and manually select the output folder.

The problem now is that some KMZ files that I receive are only a line or sometimes a line and a point. I thought that if I were missing one or two of the data types, line, polygon, or point, it would just ignore it and spit out the shapefiles for the data I do have. However, that is not the case. When I am missing some of the data types the process just fails. I want to find a way to have it just ignore the missing data and process the data that I do have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Wht does the 'select data' tool look like? what part is it failing on, the select data part or the shapefile conversion? any error messages?

You also might be best posting a new question to get maximum viewership, and to keep questions and answers in a logical structure for the forum. (You might also help others by elaborating on the 'select data' solution).

KurtSmith38
New Contributor

Eric, were you able to find a solution? I am having the same issue. If you found a working solution, I would really appreciate you sharing whatever you are able to post.

MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

Kurt, were you able to find a solution? I'm having similar issue.

0 Kudos