Looking for geoprocessing model/tool - goto XY, then create buffer

03-23-2012 11:05 AM
DaniMaynard
Occasional Contributor
Is there a way to utilize the Goto XY tool within a model/toolbox?  I'm trying to create a web app that will allow the user to input/goto a coordinate and then create a buffer around that point.  I simply cannot find a way to "Goto XY" in a model thus far...still looking tho...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Seperate the web interface go-to and the buffer creation into different operations.
Your zoom will have to be fed  a location (the x and y), and once you have these parameters you can create a point with them too (which will now be in the center of your display, because you have 'gone there'). Buffer that point and bring it into your display.
0 Kudos
BBicking1
Esri Contributor
Is there a way to utilize the Goto XY tool within a model/toolbox?  I'm trying to create a web app that will allow the user to input/goto a coordinate and then create a buffer around that point.  I simply cannot find a way to "Goto XY" in a model thus far...still looking tho...

Hi Marie,

Do you have a source script or .exe for the GoToXY? If so, then use that to create a script tool and use the script tool in a model. Read up on it here and here.

Barbara
0 Kudos
DaniMaynard
Occasional Contributor
I do like the idea of having separate tools for Goto and then Buffer, so I'll probably go with this idea.  My problem is that I'd like to utilize the Goto XY tool that's in ArcMap in my web app, but haven't found a way of doing this yet.  I do not have any code, because I hate to say...I'm not a coder and wouldn't even know where to begin to code this thing from scratch.  Was hoping there was a tool I could take advantage of, or even a javascript widget I could call, or a python script...or anything that already exists that would make this easier.  I mean, when other people are creating web apps, how are they inserting a Goto XY function?  Don't want to reinvent the wheel here if there is something out of the box I should be using.

Hi Marie,

Do you have a source script or .exe for the GoToXY? If so, then use that to create a script tool and use the script tool in a model. Read up on it here and here.

Barbara
0 Kudos