List ID's, in "walking order" along a line

04-25-2018 09:19 AM
RhondaThynne
New Contributor III

Hello!

I have a line feature and I want to identify the properties that intersect that line AND list the property ID's from start to end. When performing the select by location the results are in no particular order.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Intersect .... read the section on attributes and if you are intersecting polygons with a line, then you have the option of returning lines or points where they intersect the boundaries

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/analysis-toolbox/intersect.htm

RhondaThynne
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response, Dan.

Im not sure Intersect is the tool I need. The image below will help in my explanation; I want to identify the properties along the line and list the properties in order as you travel the line start to end.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are options but you didn't like select by attributes or other selection methods.

If those are truly polygons and not polylines representing the building lots, then an intersection using the lowest geometry (ie polyline) will result in many polylines

It seems to have worked for me at least.

RhondaThynne
New Contributor III

In your example, is the table listing the attributes of your polygons in any particular order?

When I perform the intersect the attribute table has the information I want but it is not in any particular order and I do not see any attributes that would allow me to order it in any way. Am I missing something? I want to order the results of the intersect/selection by location from the start of the line to the end of the line. See image below:

I had originally used the select by location to identify the properties that intersect the line and exported the results to a table. When the customer viewed the table they asked if I could list the properties in “walking order-start to end". See image for basic example.

Thanks for your time, Dan.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My list is in the order of traverse and intersection from left to right in the new polyline featureclass that is created by the intersection

0 Kudos
RhondaThynne
New Contributor III

Okay, thank you Dan. I will have to look into my workflow!

Cheers

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

What is the output you need?

points ? polygon?

attribute?

0 Kudos
RhondaThynne
New Contributor III

I need a table with the attributes of the polygon layer (property) that intersect a line.

I have not figured out how to use the Intersect tool to identify the polygons and list them in order.

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

As Dan said, you can use Intersect tool .

you will add the line feature class and polygon feature class. and make your output as point

and you will get the table that you asked about.

try and show me your results

0 Kudos