Join field to a polygon shapefile from another overlapping polygon in ArcGIS 10.1

Jump to solution
03-20-2017 04:10 AM
SlobodanKomatina1
New Contributor II

I have two polygon shapefiles (parcel and zoning). Parcel shapefile is overlapped by zoning shapefile. Parcel layer does not contain information about zone and I want to add that information to each parcel from zoning shapefile.

My idea is to create centroids from parcel shapefiles and after that to join zoning shapefile by location. On that way, I will add zoning attributes in my centroid point file. When I finish that I will join by location that point file and my parcel file. Unnecessary fields could be deleted after that.

I need to know is there any faster way to finish this job in ArcGIS 10.1?

This is a screenshot of a part of my parcel shapefile: enter image description here

This is a screenshot of a part of my zoning shapefile: enter image description here

Just to note that this is a very large data, about 800000 parcels.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your methodology sounds good.

Are there parcel boundaries which overlap with two or more zoning boundaries? If yes, what you want to do with those parcels?

If you want one parcel should contain information of one zoning boundary, your method is better than Polygon-to-polygon spatial Join.

NOTE: One advice would be to work with File Geodatabase, if there is a chance of the shapefile size to exceed 2 GB size limit.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
EdwinRoa
Esri Contributor

Hi

try to use a SpatialJoin 

SpatialJoin_analysis (target_features, join_features, out_feature_class, {join_operation}, {join_type}, {field_mapping}, {match_option}, {search_radius}, {distance_field_name})

This tool is available in ToolBox.

Edwin

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your methodology sounds good.

Are there parcel boundaries which overlap with two or more zoning boundaries? If yes, what you want to do with those parcels?

If you want one parcel should contain information of one zoning boundary, your method is better than Polygon-to-polygon spatial Join.

NOTE: One advice would be to work with File Geodatabase, if there is a chance of the shapefile size to exceed 2 GB size limit.

Think Location
SlobodanKomatina1
New Contributor II

It is looks like a one parcel have just one zoning overlay. 

0 Kudos
SlobodanKomatina1
New Contributor II

The method with centroids is not good for a streets, because the centroids of street polygons are out of street boundary and after that could be joined to wrong zone. Otherwise, when I use polygon to polygon my streets have a zone information from nearby zone overly and I am not sure why.

0 Kudos