Is there a tool that will clip the polygons of one feature based on another feature?

09-17-2015 06:28 AM
JohnTuohy
New Contributor II

I'm looking for a tool that will clip the polygons of one feature based on the polygons of another feature. The example would be clipping easement polygons based on parcel polygons.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

John,

Are you looking for something like this?

ArcGIS Help 10.1

JohnTuohy
New Contributor II

Rickey,

I've used the standard clip tool for individual polygons. I'm looking for something that will clip an entire dataset of easements (possibly thousands of polygons) based on an entire parcel dataset (also in the thousands) all at once globally. Does something like that exist?

John

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I believe that you can clip all polygons using both layers with clip.

0 Kudos
EarlSarow
New Contributor III

John -

The CLIP command that Rickey references in his link does what you are asking.  The diagram in the documentation might be a little misleading because it shows only a single polygon in the "clip" feature class, but it can contain many polygons, as in your parcel layer.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

John,

What about the standard "Clip" tool under Analysis ToolBox > Extract

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I guess you have multiple polygon feature classes of both Easement and Parcel data.

You can create a Union of all the easement polygons and a union of parcel polygons. Then, clip the Easement_Union with Parcel_Union.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JohnTuohy
New Contributor II

Jayanta,

I have a feature class of easements that will contain thousands of polygons. I want to clip them all at once based on a parcel polygon feature class. Would the union tool work in this scenario?

John

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What issue are you facing when you use Clip (Analysis) tool?

Think Location
0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos