Is there a possibility in ArcMap to automatically fill a given shape with smaller polygons of a given shape?

10-25-2016 06:58 AM
AndreasEugster2
New Contributor II

Like I have a rectangle (3x5m) as a vector layer... now I would like to fill this 3x5m rectangle optimal with smaller polygons in a given shape (1x2m rectangles).
I didn't find anything helpful yet....

21 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Andreas,

Try the Minimum Bounding Polygon tool:

Creating a minimum bounding rectangle—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
AndreasEugster2
New Contributor II

Dear Adrian

Thanks too for the answer, as you can see down below, the "minimum bounding rectangle" does not what I'm looking for.. (or am I wrong ?  )

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Andreas,

There is a tool called "create fishnet" in the Data Mangement Tools > Feature Class > Create Fishnet

You can specify the  Template Extent as your 3m x 5m rectangle and then set the Cell Size Widget to 1m and Cell Size height to 2m and leave Number or Rows and Columns black. This will create a new FC with cells that are 1m by 2m.

0 Kudos
AndreasEugster2
New Contributor II

Thank you Robert for the quick answer

interesting approach, I already tried it out but the problem is, I have more than one Polygon to fill, and they are not lined up straight...

Polygons needed to be filled upresult of fishnet

WhatIWouldliketoget

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Andreas,

I am unaware of any tool that will meet your needs then.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Create your own.... I have blogged some ideas and code several times...

here is one link

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Do you only want one 1 x 2 polygon in the 3 x 5?

If you want to completely fill the polygon you would need to change the size of your 1 x 2's  as the result would not be the same area, either a  1 x 2 would be cut down or exceed the boundary.  You could stack 1 x 2's 3 high but would either need to go 4 or 6 wide

If you only want to create a single 1 x 2 in the middle of the 3 x 5 that's an easy fix. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is far easier to create the bounds and orientation at the smaller scale, then aggregate them to the larger unit, than to ensure that everything fits within those bounds.  Sort of like squeezing stuff into a package... it is easier to wrap what exists than to put something into a pre-existing container.

0 Kudos
AndreasEugster2
New Contributor II

@ Dan

the problem is, the "package" is given and fix  There will be a given vector layer with the "lager polygons" needed to be filled....

0 Kudos