Is there a file size limit for exporting layer to file gdb?

02-20-2019 08:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Working with a road segment feature class.  Did a select by attribute to find roads that intersect parcels.  Attempted to export the selection to the same fgdb being used for all the data, but got the message "error exporting data".  Two other message follow: Warning: Some records may not have been exported correctly, and There was an error exporting the layer.

Assuming the issue is file size (selection is 40k records, original file is over 110k records), and, it's my understanding that selection files may still have all the records in the original file until the export is complete, I'll ran a test clipping the road segment file and then trying the select and export again.  Now it works.

Is there a file size limit for layer export.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Those error messages sound familiar; I have gotten them randomly and just rerunning the tool worked without error. File geodatabases do have a huge overall size limit, but lots of people on this forum export much larger files. I have personally done more than 60K very long records without issue. One thing you may want to try is making sure that background geoprocessing is turned off in your Geoprocessing Otpions unless you really need it, because it can lock files, which interferes with appends and other file GP tools. I doubt it affects exports, but who knows?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Is the source a file geodatabase, an enterprise geodatabase or a CAD file?

File geodatabase tables (i.e. feature classes) do have a 1 TB limit but with a configuration keyword can have a max size of 256 TB.

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

I just exported 156,604 polygon features into a FGDB, so it doesn't appear that size is the problem.

Additionally, this link says there is a default limit (which can be increased) of 1 TB for feature classes in FGDBs:  https://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0309/files/9reasons.pdf 

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dana and Robert, thanks for taking the time to post.

All the files being used are in File GDBs.  I don't think they're anywhere near 1TB.  Need to research to understand what a "configuration keyword" is.

Looked at the background geoprocessing.  I have a 64bit machine but don't recall if I installed the 64 bit processor.  Will do more research and post back.

For now, I think clipping the original road segment file is bypassing the problem.  I'm a bit surprised since I've done this selection/layer file export with prior releases of the road segment feature without error.

BTW, running 10.6 desktop.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Tom - you can learn more about file geodatabase configuration keywords here.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jay, thanks.  I have to stop working right now, but I'll go through the link you posted.  Again, I'm a little surprised since 110k line records doesn't seem all that large.

Will post back when I get through some homework.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You might need a patch for this.

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Good call Michael.  Here's the link to the patch:  ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 Exporting Data From a Layer Patch 

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos