Intersecting lines returns no records

05-14-2012 04:45 PM
jamesjohnston1
New Contributor
I'm trying to use the intersect function to combine attributes of overlapping line features. This has always worked in the past and it's pretty simple; put the attributes from the intersected feature onto the transect line that crosses it. These features clearly cross each other but the output returns no new features while adding all the fields from both to an empty set. 
I've attached a sample with two lines that intersect. Doe this function just not work in ArcGIS10 or am I doing something wrong?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Did you attach the sample data?
0 Kudos
jamesjohnston1
New Contributor
yes i did, but I don't see it. here it is again.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
James,

I took a look of your data - a line in one shapefile crosses a line in another shapefile at a point (intersection). If you used INPUT or LINE for the Output Type parameter, your output should be empty because the two lines are not overlapping.

When you said "This has always worked in the past", perhaps you used POINT as the Output Type?

You can have a look of the examples on line inputs vs. output types:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/How_Intersect_works/00080000000z000000...

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
PatrickMoulden
Occasional Contributor
Anyone figure this out yet? I am having similar issues with several feature classes, all of which clearly intersect at multiple locations (the reason I am reluctant to manually digitize them) but the output is consistently empty no matter which parameters I adjust.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Please have a look of the intersecting feature examples at the link I provided.

Only if two lines have a common/coincident/overlapping segment, you will get a line record of the coincident portion in the output.

If you need to break your lines where they intersect, try Feature To Line tool.
0 Kudos