I don't want to build pyramids when clipping a grid.

12-16-2013 05:27 AM
RyanDrum
New Contributor
I have selected (under Customization Options) to "never build pyramids". Yet when I run a Clip (data management) on my raster, ArcGIS 10.1, it seems to always build pyramids without a prompt to choose whether I want them or not.

I'm working with 90GB grids and currently building intermediary products that will not be displayed, thus the pyramids are of no interest to me-- and these pyramids are taking forever to build. Onewould think the above selection to not build pyramids would prevent this yet it is not working. Am I missing something?

Also note-- the same problem applies when running the Resample (data management) tool to adjust pixel size. This is adding several hours per grid processing time.

Thanks for any insights.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Ryan,

You will need to specify not to build pyramids in the 'Environments' of the Clip tool.  To do this, click on the Environments at the bottom of the tool > Raster Storage > uncheck 'Build Pyramids'.

Take a look at the following link:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//001w0000001w000000
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
So, Jake, the environment takes precedence over the application setting?

1. GP Environment > Pyramid (note, the default is NONE, according to the help)
2. Customize > ArcMap/Catatalog Options > Raster > Raster Dataset tab
0 Kudos
RyanDrum
New Contributor
Thank you, Jake. That did work.

Seems redundant/confusing to have the same option in two different places (with only one actually doing something)... but whatever works!
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Curtis,

Yes, the environment takes precedence over the application settings.  For example, you can run the Clip tool and choose whether or not to build pyramids.  In regards to the application settings, ArcMap options will not be triggered until the raster is added to ArcMap.  If you have these options set to always build pyramids, and pyramids are absent, pyramids will begin to be built once the raster is added to ArcMap. 

1. GP Environment > Pyramid (note, the default is NONE, according to the help)

This only applies to when you are setting Pyramid Environments with scripting.
0 Kudos